Help! What's wrong with her?

Pics
Oh goodness. Poor girl is really struggling with her breathing. It’s great to see her eating and preening. Can you make some damp feed that’s more like the consistency of cookie dough and see if she can eat that without needing to sneeze/cough?

Is the other bird still doing this? I like the idea of a mister or vaporizer.

Oh goodness. Poor girl is really struggling with her breathing. It’s great to see her eating and preening. Can you make some damp feed that’s more like the consistency of cookie dough and see if she can eat that without needing to sneeze/cough?

Is the other bird still doing this? I like the idea of a mister or vaporizer.
Oh, i forgot to update about the other bird. I didnt ever notice the other hen doing it, my husband just said it sounded like "one of the white ones" was doing it now, but not when i checked. I can try making her something else, but she wasn't really interested in nothing but the raw egg. She preferred it over the mashed up hard boiled egg. I gave her an albuterol breathing treatment last night, but unfortunately it was my last one. I should've picked up a steam vaporizer today so i could've put this VetRx in it tonight.

Update: We've named her Lucy. I don't really name chickens unless a name fits them. Or until a name fits them I'd say. Especially if i have alot and some are hard to tell apart, like my 4 Morans. Lucys breathing issues reminded me of my grandmother, Luculle, i lost 5 years ago to COPD and other respiratory issues that she struggled with and fought for years. Her personality through this illness reminded me of my grandma too 🥰 Lucy also seemed to be a more feminine version to the pet name lucky to me (i dont like "pet" names). Lucky is what really leads to the actual update. Lucky because i don't think i seen any threads on here where their hens, with this severe gaping symptom, survived. Lucy was much better today. Breathing (gaping) was MUCH better today. She got a second dose of wormer and the daily routine of VetRx, special water, eggs, etc, etc. I actually woke up to her nested in my closet this morning, lol. My room is at the opposite end of the house as the bathroom she had been in, so obviously she was up for venturing today, lol. Since she woke up much more lively, spunky, and hen like today, i figured fresh air outdoors would do her good. She was happy to be out. She was still a bit slow, but followed the rest of the flock around all day taking rest breaks along the way. The rest of the flock still has no negative symptoms by the way. Come roost time, she went in the coop with the rest and hopped right up on the roost. The first night she slept on the coop floor, and in a laundry basket in my bathroom floor since, so this was a big positive step for her. The coop was thoroughly cleaned, disinfected, refreshed, and new ventilation was added today so I'm glad she can enjoy her own bed tonight as comfortable as possible. Will update again tomorrow. This post isnt very active aside from myself, lol, but i figured it could help others in the future who may research BYC for the same symptoms and possible treatments & outcomes. I sure wish i had an answer of exactly what it is, but i believe she is going to be ok atleast.

Is there a way i can edit the thread title? Id like to change the name to make it more "to the point" for others searching for similar symptoms.

Update! Lucy is recovering and almost back to herself. She is back to foraging and eating by herself. She isn't gaping anymore, however she does still have a slight wheeze. Yesterday she was still gaping slightly and sounded like she needed to expell something from her lungs (mucus). I did give her some of my kids' a natural mucus medicine. It was an experiment but she had a 100% turn around today. My girl is going to be just fine id say! Its been 5 days since she fell sick and the rest of the flock never developed any symptoms. I'm beginning to think it was rain related.

Thats great that she's doing better. You are an amazing chicken mom! It sounds like it was pretty stressful, but she made it out ok and with a name! Thanks for keeping everyone updated with her progress. It's so helpful for the rest of us! 😀

Thats great that she's doing better. You are an amazing chicken mom! It sounds like it was pretty stressful, but she made it out ok and with a name! Thanks for keeping everyone updated with her progress. It's so helpful for the rest of us! 😀
You're welcome :) Lucy is back to her normal self. I don't think she has laid an egg yet after this, but other than that, you would never know she was near death a short time ago. There was a night where i was giving her her meds and i stopped, looked at my husband, and said "who the hell does this for a chicken?" He just smiled, giggled, and said "I have been wandering the same thing." I could tell he thought i was nuts at first, but every time he would walk by her he would talk "baby talk" to her as he pet her like a puppy. I won't tell him, but he isn't as "manly" as he thinks, and he may be just as crazy as his wife, lol.

Back
Top Bottom