Help with 6 week old duck!

quail gggggggggg

Chirping
Dec 15, 2018
I have 5 6 week old ducks. Today, they graduated from the pen to the pond. I sat and watched them for about an hour, when one started going ballistic. I immediately threw my phone out of my pocket and jumped into the pond. I'm 14, so it wasn't too much trouble. She was squalling and going crazy by a grass mat in the middle of the pond. I got to her, and figuring she had gotten tangled in the grass, lifted her up. Up with her came the back of a large snapping turtle. I looked at him, he looked at me, and he got gone! I carried the duck like a football back to the bank, and looked her over. She had a pretty bad gash on her leg, so I took my brother's (clean and dry) sock, and put it over her head to calm her down. I started prodding and pushing, and she could push against my hand, so I knew her leg wasn't broken. The gash is on the inside of the leg, and it is about 2" wide and deep. I hunt and process animals on the weekly, so the sight was no big deal for me. My mom, though, who had heard the commotion and come over by now, could not stand the sight. I ran the numbers in my head, and figured that statistically, the other ducks would all be bitten within 4 more hours, so I netted them out and put them in the pen. I got cleaned up, and went to work on the leg. I felt it up and down, and could not feel a break. I cleaned around it with alchohol prep pads, and sprayed it with peroxide. It bubbled very little, which I was thankful for. I got her in a cage in a warm place with food and water, next to my quail chicks. She is eating and drinking, so that is a good sign. What more should I be doing? I spent all of my birthday money on the ducks, so it would be a punch in the gut to lose one. I have about 10 bush hooks set out in the pond, hoping to catch that turtle. I sat till dark today waiting for the beast to rear its ugly head so I could get a shot with my .22, but it never happened. What more should I be doing for her? She is hesitant to walk on her leg, but she can do it. She likes to lay with her leg up. Here are pics. Thank you all for reading this, and I need advice. I need to make a decision whether to cull or not by Tuesday night. I do not want her to suffer. 20200510_211415.jpg
20200510_204354.jpg
20200510_211415.jpg
20200510_204354.jpg
20200510_204334.jpg

Hey there! I am so sorry this is happening to you- and the poor duck! Do not blame yourself for this, it is mother nature for things like this to happen. You seem to be doing all the right things! My suggestion would be to continue cleaning the would with peroxide or an antibacterial spray every 2-4 hours. I would also suggest applying a triple anti biotic cream to help prevent infection and promote healing. I wish nothing but the best for you and your ducks and I hope that mean turtle learns his lesson!!

Hey there! I am so sorry this is happening to you- and the poor duck! Do not blame yourself for this, it is mother nature for things like this to happen. You seem to be doing all the right things! My suggestion would be to continue cleaning the would with peroxide or an antibacterial spray every 2-4 hours. I would also suggest applying a triple anti biotic cream to help prevent infection and promote healing. I wish nothing but the best for you and your ducks and I hope that mean turtle learns his lesson!!
Thanks for the feedback! I am making a run to Tractor supply tomorrow, and do you know any specific cream that will work? I forgot to say that I also have her drinking nutri- drench. I hope to send that turtle to meet its maker tommorow...

I've used Neosporin on my ducks many times and have experienced no ill effects. Just make sure it is not the pain medicated one, as long as it doesn't contain any "caine" type pain relievers. Make sure to check the label for anything with "caine" in its name (like Lidocaine) etc. (caines are toxic to birds and waterfowl)

I would also put a towel down in her little cage :) It may help her foot heal so she doesn't have to walk on the wire of the cage

Back
Top Bottom