Help with a Needy Cockerel

GreenHaven

Chirping
Apr 17, 2023
Pacific Northwest
I am trying to establish a flock and this is my first time. I am making so many mistakes. At this point I have a small Batchelor Flock of two (one to be added soon). I got the males in March, and the females mid May. (Did that backwards). I ordered 15 of each (what was I thinking) and the boys were not a great group. Some very aggressive, some runts and wry tails. The two I kept are “nicer” birds. One Buckeye and one “Americana”. The girls are three months in a separate pen, with one male that’s getting too rambunctious, so he will be joining the other two any day now. Their pens are electric netting. They sleep in an open roost houses that we made from cedar and metal to try to keep mites at bay. That’s all for background.
The Americana is an escape artist - leaves his enclosure every morning. So I’ve been letting the boys out during the day so the Buckeye isn’t alone all the time. (This is for the last few weeks - after a serious reduction in the size of the group). They get along really well - I’ve seen no fighting (since the reductio). But they are very needy - spending a lot of time on my doorstep and running to me when I’m outside. I figured their lonely? They do spend time looking at the girls from outside, but dont try to get in. Things got weird yesterday though, and I’m a bit concerned. The Americana was out of the pen, and when I went in to check on the Buckeye, he was agitated and ran away from me, and flew out of the pen. I could see nothing wrong in his pen. I checked everything. I left the gate open and did everthing I normally do. The boys spent the day out of the pen entirely- and they normally goin to feed and drink. They started behaving normally by noontime (towards me) - but didn’t go back in the pen at all. They spent more time near us and the house than normal. I couldn’t coax them into their pen. In the evening- they were at the doors and tried to fly into the kitchen window a couple times. I finally coaxed the Buckeye back with scratch - he gobbled it out of my hand. The Americana- would not go. Finally, as it was getting dark I scooped the Americana up - he was in a corner near my garage entry door - and carried him back and put him on the roost near the Buckeye. I’m so confused. Im thinking something scared them? The Americana seems to need to be around us more than seems normal. He’s easier to pickup - the Buckeye- I can’t catch him unless in his pen.
I was thinking to relocate the pen, in any case for fresh ground, thinking that might help? I do that about once a month, anyway. I’m at a loss - any insights or suggestions would be so helpful and appreciated.

I am trying to establish a flock and this is my first time. I am making so many mistakes. At this point I have a small Batchelor Flock of two (one to be added soon). I got the males in March, and the females mid May. (Did that backwards). I ordered 15 of each (what was I thinking) and the boys were not a great group. Some very aggressive, some runts and wry tails. The two I kept are “nicer” birds. One Buckeye and one “Americana”. The girls are three months in a separate pen, with one male that’s getting too rambunctious, so he will be joining the other two any day now. Their pens are electric netting. They sleep in an open roost houses that we made from cedar and metal to try to keep mites at bay. That’s all for background.
The Americana is an escape artist - leaves his enclosure every morning. So I’ve been letting the boys out during the day so the Buckeye isn’t alone all the time. (This is for the last few weeks - after a serious reduction in the size of the group). They get along really well - I’ve seen no fighting (since the reductio). But they are very needy - spending a lot of time on my doorstep and running to me when I’m outside. I figured their lonely? They do spend time looking at the girls from outside, but dont try to get in. Things got weird yesterday though, and I’m a bit concerned. The Americana was out of the pen, and when I went in to check on the Buckeye, he was agitated and ran away from me, and flew out of the pen. I could see nothing wrong in his pen. I checked everything. I left the gate open and did everthing I normally do. The boys spent the day out of the pen entirely- and they normally goin to feed and drink. They started behaving normally by noontime (towards me) - but didn’t go back in the pen at all. They spent more time near us and the house than normal. I couldn’t coax them into their pen. In the evening- they were at the doors and tried to fly into the kitchen window a couple times. I finally coaxed the Buckeye back with scratch - he gobbled it out of my hand. The Americana- would not go. Finally, as it was getting dark I scooped the Americana up - he was in a corner near my garage entry door - and carried him back and put him on the roost near the Buckeye. I’m so confused. Im thinking something scared them? The Americana seems to need to be around us more than seems normal. He’s easier to pickup - the Buckeye- I can’t catch him unless in his pen.
I was thinking to relocate the pen, in any case for fresh ground, thinking that might help? I do that about once a month, anyway. I’m at a loss - any insights or suggestions would be so helpful and appreciated.
Could there have been a snake or something in with them or some other predator nearby?

There must have been some kind of predator scaring them away from the coop. They seek your help and don't want to enter again as they don't feel secure.

That’s my best quests that there was some sort of predator that scared them which is why they didn’t want to be in there
There must have been some kind of predator scaring them away from the coop. They seek your help and don't want to enter again as they don't feel secure.
Hmm - I was afraid that could be it. I don’t know what I can do to help them get over it - or to figure out what it was. I didnt think much could get through the net - a snake would get zapped when slithering. Perhaps a small rodent. Could that frighten them this much. They look fine. I was going to move the enclosure - do You think that might help?

Back
Top Bottom