Help with Baby Mallard?

:::::UPDATE:::::::

Little bugger's hangin' in there!!!! The honey water seemed to give him a little boost, and so did the mirror. I got the biggest response out of the mirror I think. That seemed to put his mind at ease and make him think that "hey... Maybe this isn't too bad after all. I've got company!" He's eaten about half of the egg yolk and was quite active when I got home from work this afternoon. He ate half again the yolk before I headed up to bed and to write this. (although my mind would be MUCH more at ease if I could just SEE him eat it....)

He arrived on Friday, and today is Monday. I don't think he would have made it this far if he wasn't eating, so a big thumbs up to all of you that gave me advice!!!!! I also owe an enormous thank you to the Big Guy upstairs, because I spent a few minutes downstairs over the brooder on one knee with both eyes closed praying for the little bugger.... so Thank you Lord for your help. I think that that was the biggest help of all......

I'll keep you updated. THANK YOU EVERYONE!!!!!

Wonderful news!!!
One of my favorite things to do with ducklings, especially "lone" ducklings is to lay on the couch in the evening with duckling on my chest (on a fluffy towel just in case baby has to poop)...you wouldn't believe how much a duckling comes to enjoy that time as well. When you first try it, if duckling seems skittish try lightly cupping your hand over baby, it will make him/her feel safe and help settle him/her down. Every duckling I've done it with ends up a lot less scared of me the rest of the time. One of those ducklings is now 8 months old and she'll come to me when I call her, I can walk right up to her and pick her up (unless she's eating peas or worms..then forget the snuggles time LOL). Keep us posted on the little one :)

Michelle

Back
Top Bottom