help with sexing and identifying breed?

sryglet

Chirping
May 18, 2015
Hi everyone! I'm new to ducks and chickens and to this site as well. I currently have a chicken, a rooster (didn't plan on that), and two ducks. They are all 12 weeks old.
My ducks are a white pekin and what was *supposed* to be a khaki campbell.. He / she looks more like a mallard. My questions are:
What do you think the "khaki campbell" really is?

The "khaki campbell" has a very raspy, quiet voice, while the white pekin has a very loud voice. I've heard a quiet voice means it's a male, but he / she looks like a female, right?
When will males develope a curly tail?
Thanks so much!

Looks like a Khaki to me. Mine is starting to molt and she's getting that "mottled" feather look. That might be what you're seeing.

If he has a raspy, quiet voice, he's probably a drake. Looks like you might be getting the beginnings of a drake curl in his tail feather, too. Still to early to tell for sure on the curl, though. He's a little young to have his adult plumage, though.

Looks like a Khaki to me. Mine is starting to molt and she's getting that "mottled" feather look. That might be what you're seeing.

If he has a raspy, quiet voice, he's probably a drake. Looks like you might be getting the beginnings of a drake curl in his tail feather, too. Still to early to tell for sure on the curl, though. He's a little young to have his adult plumage, though.

Thank you!
That's so funny because the khaki is named Pheobe and the Pekin is named Howard XD and yeah, Pheobe pretty much doesn't have a voice other than an airy squeaking sound. Howard's quack would wake us up at night when they were being raised inside! As for the feathers, after they actual came in and covered the down, they looked kind of mottled / splotchy.

Mmk.. Another question... Will a khaki / pekin cross be interesting looking? And will the khaki (if it's a drake) fight with a male call duck, or do drakes get along? Would it be ok to have a female call duck or will a male khaki be dangerous to her in breeding season? Both ducks are very friendly and tame, they love our chickens and Howard is very protective of them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom