Help! Worms? Cocci?

ILoveMyChix

Hatching
Jan 17, 2024
My hen is a year and 8 months old. I noticed yesterday she had diarrhea with what looks like blood in it. I immediately quarantined her and have been giving her electrolytes, ACV and nutridrench. She is not acting lethargic. She still wants to drink and eat, but the diarrhea is a lot. A few times it has been like straight liquid coming out. I checked internally and did not feel an egg and she is not swollen in her abdomen. She does seem to be molting now, which is odd because we are in the dead of winter here in New York. I'm not sure what to do for her, I don't know if I'm seeing blood, intestinal lining or worms.

Attachments

• 20240116_112753.jpg
    20240116_112753.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20240116_112753.jpg
    20240116_112753.jpg
    463.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240116_113119.jpg
    20240116_113119.jpg
    513.1 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240116_112746.jpg
    20240116_112746.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 5
My hen is a year and 8 months old. I noticed yesterday she had diarrhea with what looks like blood in it. I immediately quarantined her and have been giving her electrolytes, ACV and nutridrench. She is not acting lethargic. She still wants to drink and eat, but the diarrhea is a lot. A few times it has been like straight liquid coming out. I checked internally and did not feel an egg and she is not swollen in her abdomen. She does seem to be molting now, which is odd because we are in the dead of winter here in New York. I'm not sure what to do for her, I don't know if I'm seeing blood, intestinal lining or worms.
It's intestinal shedding with blood clots.

I'd go ahead and start her on Corid, it's probably the most easily medication to source quickly.
Is vet care an option or can you take a sample to your vet? I'd be inclined to treat with an antibiotic as well. A sulfa antibiotic would be a good choice.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.

It's intestinal shedding with blood clots.

I'd go ahead and start her on Corid, it's probably the most easily medication to source quickly.
Is vet care an option or can you take a sample to your vet? I'd be inclined to treat with an antibiotic as well. A sulfa antibiotic would be a good choice.

Liquid Corid dose is 2tsp or Powdered Corid Dose is 1 1/2tsp per gallon of water given for 5-7 days as the only source of drinking water.
Do not add any extra vitamins/electrolytes that contain B1(Thiamine) to food or water during the course of treatment.
Thank you so much! I was able to get the liquid corrid, I am picking it up this afternoon. Unfortunately it is almost impossible to find a vet who will help with chickens in my area (very frustrating!). I have her quarantined in a big dog crate in my house; I will keep her in there and treat her with the corrid. Should I also put it in the waterer for my other chickens who are in the coop?
I just find this so strange because she has no other symptoms of coccidiosis besides this diarrhea... is that typical sometimes?

Do you have a regular vet who might run a fecal float on your chicken if you bring in a dog or cat for regular care or a checkup? That is what my vet would do. That could rule out coccidiosis, and check for worms. If that is not possible, I would be tempted to treat for the coccidiosis plus worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard.

Blood in feces are caused by two of the nine types of coccidiosis that chickens can get. Corid may not treat the two types that cause blood in the feces. I highly recommend Toltrazuril to kill coccidiosis. Here's where you can order it, I recommend expedited shipping.
https://allbirdproducts.com/collections/chicken-anti-coccidial-medication/products/endocox-powder
Thank you! So this product will kill all types of cocci, as compared to corid which will only treat some?

Do you have a regular vet who might run a fecal float on your chicken if you bring in a dog or cat for regular care or a checkup? That is what my vet would do. That could rule out coccidiosis, and check for worms. If that is not possible, I would be tempted to treat for the coccidiosis plus worm her with Valbazen or SafeGuard.
Thank you! I will reach out to my normal vet to see if they could do a fecal float test for me.

Back
Top Bottom