Help

Bana84

Hatching
Jul 21, 2021
Hi all. I have a ducking who started hatching under her mother but the mom gave up on it because it already had three hatch. I moved the duckling to the incubator to finish. She seems to be doing ok but she still has the egg attached. Is this normal?

Hi all. I have a ducking who started hatching under her mother but the mom gave up on it because it already had three hatch. I moved the duckling to the incubator to finish. She seems to be doing ok but she still has the egg attached. Is this normal?
I don't raise ducks, but I have had to help a chick hatch before, so I did some research on it in the past.

It's possible the egg lining/shell got stuck to the chick due to drying out. If it still hasn't detached itself from the egg by now, try to figure out where it's stuck on. If it seems rather dry, I'd take some warm water and try and peel off the remaining egg.

Just be careful to make sure it's not attached to the vent area of the chick, as they're reproductive systems are easily damaged at this age (for any type of chick, I believe) hence why removing feces pile-up can be tricky. You can also damage the chick's skin by peeling egg, so it's important to wet it down with warm-ish water before trying. :)

I hope this helps.

Back
Top Bottom