Help

Leeannecamp

In the Brooder
Jan 7, 2023
I woke up this morning and my rooster was still on his perch which is not like him. I immediately went to check on him and his eye looks like this, but the other one is perfectly fine.
is it respiratory? I did a dose of diluted duramycin (orally bc I didn’t have a needle) and brought him inside.

Is there anything else I can do for him?

Attachments

• 34167654-CD2E-4626-BB7D-74B3C0EB7D27.jpeg
    34167654-CD2E-4626-BB7D-74B3C0EB7D27.jpeg
    702 KB · Views: 37
Is he the only rooster? Could he have been pecked in the eye? I would worry that he might have a respiratory disease. Does he smell bad or normal? Have you heard any wheeze, crackles, or sneezing from him? Duramycin is one of the antibiotics that can treat MG or CRD. Others used are Denagard, Tylosin. If he smells bad, and it could be coryza, then a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine might be better.

Is he the only rooster? Could he have been pecked in the eye? I would worry that he might have a respiratory disease. Does he smell bad or normal? Have you heard any wheeze, crackles, or sneezing from him? Duramycin is one of the antibiotics that can treat MG or CRD. Others used are Denagard, Tylosin. If he smells bad, and it could be coryza, then a sulfa antibiotic, such as sulfadimethoxine might be better.
He’s not the only rooster. He wheezed a little bit the first day but hasn’t since. But his comb is turning black on the tip so it has me worried. But it’s not warm to the touch. I have tried to find tylosin but can’t. Do I have to have a prescription for that?

Attachments

• EDD4179E-E29B-4301-96C0-FDFEC81087FE.jpeg
    EDD4179E-E29B-4301-96C0-FDFEC81087FE.jpeg
    628 KB · Views: 2
I wish that you had posted earlier. Tylosin can be ordered online here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Can you see his intact eye when you open the eyelids with your clean fingers? Are there any bubbles or white pus inside the eyelid? You can rinse his eye with saline or eye wash by Bausch and Lomb from the drug store, and apply Terramycin (from a feed store) or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day into the eye. It is possible that his eye was pecked.

I wish that you had posted earlier. Tylosin can be ordered online here:
https://jedds.com/products/tylosin-powder
Can you see his intact eye when you open the eyelids with your clean fingers? Are there any bubbles or white pus inside the eyelid? You can rinse his eye with saline or eye wash by Bausch and Lomb from the drug store, and apply Terramycin (from a feed store) or plain Neosporin ointment twice a day into the eye. It is possible that his eye was pecked.
I think it was. I have rinsed but I am worried about what looks like something coming out of his eye. Possibly a scab. I tried to gently get it with a qtip but it wouldn’t come off and I didn’t want to rip it.

Attachments

• 9C44C38D-FBEB-467B-A5AA-D874E8973795.jpeg
    9C44C38D-FBEB-467B-A5AA-D874E8973795.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 1
What does it look like when you open the eyelid? In another recent thread something like that was protruding from the eye, but it came off after rinsing the eye for a day.

Back
Top Bottom