Hen afraid of rooster

Tether rooster for minimum 30 days in center of open. Only hens that want him will go to him. Release and see if he goes directly to hen on question, prevent contact. You'll have you answer, either he goes or that hen will have to go if things get messy. This task is meant to redirect his focus on what is given him verses what he is free to take. Physc training.
Does this actually work? Never heard of this method. Intriguing.

I have a flock of 18 hens and 1 rooster. One of the hens, a 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington seems to be really afraid of the rooster, also a 1 1/2 year old Buff Orpington. At first I thought she was just the bottom of the pecking order and afraid of all the other chickens. She would remain roosting in the coop rather than go out into the run with all the others. Once the others were let out to free range she would sometimes come out into the run but would still spend most of her time in the coop or up on a roosting bar I have suspended in the run. I started getting concerned that she wasn't eating and drinking enough so I put a small dish of water in the coop and a small feeder. I also started feeding her scratch by hand and she has become super friendly with me and seems to have gained confidence. If I am out with the flock she will come along. As I said at first I thought she was the bottom of the pecking order but now that I can observe her with the others I see that she has no problem with the other hens, it is only the rooster. She intentionally keeps her distance and if he goes after her to mount her she goes into a terror. I will add that he is the first friendly rooster I have ever had. I have had to dispatch 2 previous roosters because they became very aggressive toward me and were very rough with the hens. All the other hens seem to accept him willingly and for the first time since I have been keeping chickens I don't have any hens that need a chicken saddles. I doubt there is anything I can do to repair their relationship but just wondering if this is common situation. As winter sets in my chickens will be spending a lot of time in only the coop and run, they don't like snow so my shy hen will be spending all her time in the coop to avoid the rooster. Other than making sure she always has access to food and water is there anything else I can to keep her comfortable?
Aw, that sounds like a tough situation for your Buff Orpington hen! 🐔❤️ It's awesome that you're looking out for her. Chickens can be funny with their social dynamics. Here are a few ideas to help keep her comfortable:

1. Separate Spaces: If possible, create separate areas in the coop or run where she can retreat and feel safe. Maybe a cozy corner with some extra bedding or a small hiding spot.

2. Divide Feeding Stations: Make sure there are multiple feeding and watering stations in different parts of the coop or run. This way, she can grab a snack without getting too close to the rooster.

3. Provide Distractions: Add some boredom busters like hanging treats or toys. This can give her something to focus on and reduce stress.

4. Observe and Adjust: Keep an eye on their interactions, and if you notice any particularly stressful situations, consider intervening or providing a distraction to redirect their attention.

5. Comfortable Roosting Spots: Ensure that there are comfortable roosting spots in the coop that are away from the rooster. Chickens often have preferred spots, and having options can reduce stress.

6. Time and Patience: Sometimes, chicken dynamics can change over time. With your attentive care and the rooster's friendly nature, there might be a chance for the hen to become more comfortable with him. It might take time, so patience is key.

Remember, each chicken is unique, and their social dynamics can vary. It's wonderful that you're actively trying to make her feel at ease. Best of luck with your flock, and I hope they have a cozy winter! 🐣❄️

Back
Top Bottom