Hen Attack from Hawk

Almo

In the Brooder
Aug 14, 2020
One of my hens was attacked by a red tailed hawk yesterday. After reviewing footage, it appears it attacked my hen for a full 20 minutes before I ran outside and scared it away. There are feathers in 3 different areas showing where the tussle took place. Thankfully I do not see any deep wounds on my hens back. Just a lot of missing feathers and some exposed skin that’s probably down to white meat but not bloody. It could have been a lot worse. What can I use to safely treat her wounds?

Pics of wounds would help here.
Is bird eating/drinking?

yes she is acting perfectly normal. I kept her and the other hen in their run today. She ran out the coop this morning just as she always does

Sorry to hear about your hen. General wound care consist of trimming, or plucking any feathers around the wound to prevent irritation due to them, then, lavaging the wound with saline, or an antiseptic such as chlorhexidine or dilute betadine to dislodge any bacteria or debris. After flushing, an antibacterial ointment can be applied a few times a day as needed to keep the wound surface moist.

Attachments

• 14E487C3-2711-4F4D-B25F-B167ABEBDDB3.jpeg
    14E487C3-2711-4F4D-B25F-B167ABEBDDB3.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 4
  • 1D07B6E3-F3F5-40B7-B49B-C0C1F675BEDA.jpeg
    1D07B6E3-F3F5-40B7-B49B-C0C1F675BEDA.jpeg
    614.3 KB · Views: 4
Wow! She's a tough little fighter! So glad she is OK. 20 min is a long time to fight off a hawk. She should heal up nicely with the antibiotic ointment. So glad she is eating and drinking OK too.

Wow! She's a tough little fighter! So glad she is OK. 20 min is a long time to fight off a hawk. She should heal up nicely with the antibiotic ointment. So glad she is eating and drinking OK too.

thank you! Yes she has always had a little spark in her. She laid her eggs the past 2 days right on schedule

Back
Top Bottom