Hen attacked by coyote still alive but has open wound on back

Initially when I looked at her I didn't lift up her Wing I just saw the section missing between her wings and thought okay I can deal with this and she'll be fine and I got the cage ready and then I got all of my supplies and then I lifted up her wing and saw how much of her was missing. It was all skin but then I'm thinking how am I going to keep all of this internal stuff clean so it doesn't get infected, wet so it doesn't dry out and keep her from picking at it because I know it was going to itch as it was healing because I had a similar situation with a cat and he just kept licking this huge open wound on his leg and then it looks like hamburger meat and that was like it'll heal on its own and I'm like but he keeps licking it. And they gave me this puffy stuff to put on it that helped and then it eventually healed but that hole was at the very most 2 in in diameter. This was the entire side of a chicken. And of course it was a Saturday evening so the vet wasn't even going to be open until Monday morning and do I really want to have her sit there and suffer for days. At the time she looked perfectly fine like nothing was even wrong but I knew eventually she was going to realize it and then what happens. I can't believe that they don't feel pain. Anyway thank you all for your help and hopefully the information you shared will help somebody else in the future who's chicken is much less injured than mine was.

We put her down. The entire side and back of her body had no skin. I had a friend come over who was an experienced chicken keeper for many years and she agreed that there was way too much damage. Initially I thought it was just a section on her back the size of my hand but it was actually went from under her left wing all the way down her right side. Someone with more experience and skill might have been able to keep her alive but it was beyond me.
I'm sorry about your hen :hugs

Back
Top Bottom