Hen disappeared

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
Nope... There is a storage "shed" where she could have entered and laid eggs, but it's impossible to check everything right now as I don't have help
I hope that she is ok. If she’s in a shed, at least it would not have been cold… can I see a picture of your yard? i could tell you chicken hiding places.

Msyr

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2014
I hope that she is ok. If she’s in a shed, at least it would not have been cold… can I see a picture of your yard? i could tell you chicken hiding places.
It's pitch black out and I don't have any good pictures sadly. To describe it, there's a lawn with some fruit/ornamental trees surrounding our home on 3 sides, and a dense hedge where our property ends and potato/wheat fields begin. The last side faces our driveway, the road and a few other houses up a hill. There are some sparse woods nearby, but I've never seen the chickens there. Of these areas, I can only imagine she's hidden herself in the hedge, since it's the only evergreen plant. I've checked every nook and cranny I could, such as below the coop.

When I think about it, a neighbor also has chickens, so she might have joined their flock for the day. It is relatively far though, a few hundred meters, so I don't have my hopes up.

Msyr

Chirping
7 Years
Dec 27, 2014
UPDATE:
So after looking everywhere in trees, bushes and sheds yesterday, we found nothing.

Well, today she just randomly showed up in the morning, seeming tired and cold, but completely fine otherwise. She doesn't seem broody at all, so no clue why she'd vanish like that. Only thing that matters is that she's back I guess 20211128_121706.jpg

Chickeeaholic

Songster
Mar 8, 2021
UPDATE:
So after looking everywhere in trees, bushes and sheds yesterday, we found nothing.

Well, today she just randomly showed up in the morning, seeming tired and cold, but completely fine otherwise. She doesn't seem broody at all, so no clue why she'd vanish like that. Only thing that matters is that she's back I guess View attachment 2911798
I’m very glad you found her. Thanks for letting us know. One of mind did that not long ago. I had just spotted her an hour before but then at dusk she didn’t come in with the others. I was getting worried and just before it was too dark I found her in the pine trees with a bath/nest area dug out in the needles. When I picked her up she was warm from the ground. I’m guessing mine was enjoying the heat from the ground and why she didn’t want to come in. Also if they are squabbling a lot or growing in feathers they seem to want to do this.

6BeachChicks

🎄 Merry Christmas 🎄
Premium Feather Member
Aug 30, 2021
UPDATE:

Well, today she just randomly showed up in the morning, seeming tired and cold, but completely fine otherwise. She doesn't seem broody at all, so no clue why she'd vanish like that. Only thing that matters is that she's back I guess View attachment 2911798
I’m so happy!

Top Bottom