Hen has a habit of being gurgly when cold.

Featheryyards

Chirping
Jan 24, 2022
So I have posted about this hen before I believe. She is my bantam hen (the mother of my 3 others.) last year around this time we noticed she was gurgling when talking and gurgling when sleeping. Like a snoring sound. I got her checked out at the vet and they said they never noticed any gurgling when they kept her overnight. Since then we have slowly realized that she gurgles when she is cold. Due to our house being messed up from hurricanes, a draft gets in sometimes esp with the north winds. I’m curious if anybody else has seen this behavior in their hens? She is completely normal aside from this. Even going as far as to chase her poor husband down for mating cause she is broody also lol.

How cold is it?

A grown hen should be able to handle temps well below freezing.

Can you get video of this gurgling so we can hear it? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is her crop emptying?

How cold is it?

A grown hen should be able to handle temps well below freezing.

Can you get video of this gurgling so we can hear it? Upload video to youtube and provide a link.

Is her crop emptying?
Last year the temps got to 20°f at nights. Currently it’s only getting down to around 60°f. She is fully grown however my mother and I think it may just be past issues from the neglect she experienced from her previous owner. Her crop empties regularly and everything about her is normal. She lays eggs normal, sings her egg song, fluffs with the others, chases my mom for snuggles. She just happens to gurgle and sound a bit congested sometimes. But no matter how many times I took her to the vet they always said they can’t find anything wrong. Not in a “something is wrong but we don’t know what” but more in a “from what we can tell she is a perfectly healthy birb”

Back
Top Bottom