Hen has empty crop and bloated belly

samuelG

In the Brooder
Mar 3, 2021
Hi there.
My hen seems in good spirits. She still drinks water but not eating much at all.
I suspect she could be molting but her belly is round and a bit hard like she is not digesting or something.. it is not fleshy and soft like the others. It feels like how a human would feel when they are bloated and had a big meal.
Her crop is empty. I put my hands to check and you can feel both bones that rest on each side of the crop and there is no food in it. I suspect she has not eaten enough at all as you can feel like a gap/groove in her crop like it has not filled up with food or water and is deflated ie no food.
The others all have large crops with food. The time now is 745pm and they are getting ready for bed, I would expect her to have the same full crop like the others.
She has not laid in a few weeks. She is a standard red island hen. Two years old.
Her poo is more like pale yellow liquid, no smell, it has dried on her backside into like chalky yellow so I do not think she has gone toilet properly in a while.
no smell in her mouth or from behind.
Is she possibly on a hunger strike?

She might possibly be suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis or internally laid egg masses of infection, or cancer. Pressure in the abdomen can build up slowing down digestion. Unfortunately, you might not be able to know what is causing this until after her death when you could do a necropsy and look into her abdomen. Yellow urates can be a sign of liver failure and ascites fluid in the abdomen which may also occur in advanced reproductive disorders. I would try to get her eating, provide grit, and offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces for her her to eat, in case she is obstructed. Pictures of her poop and what she looks like could be helpful.

She might possibly be suffering from a reproductive disorder, such as salpingitis or internally laid egg masses of infection, or cancer. Pressure in the abdomen can build up slowing down digestion. Unfortunately, you might not be able to know what is causing this until after her death when you could do a necropsy and look into her abdomen. Yellow urates can be a sign of liver failure and ascites fluid in the abdomen which may also occur in advanced reproductive disorders. I would try to get her eating, provide grit, and offer some chilled coconut oil cut into small pieces for her her to eat, in case she is obstructed. Pictures of her poop and what she looks like could be helpful.
We noticed the bloating about 3 - 4 days ago. Today she was eating some porridge and a bit of almonds and cheese but not into the grains. Her crop is empty though and you can feel the bones there and no food in there so I feel like she is not eating enough. Her bloating has gone down a bit so I am hoping she will be okay but she is stable thank god

Back
Top Bottom