Hen having issues with walking

Paralysis can be a symptom of many things ranging from international issues, infection, to injury. Do you have an exotic pet vet or avian vet nearby that can see her? I'm sorry if I missed this question being asked before.

I wouldn't give her anything without the guidance of a vet. There is a checklist to run through but it seems like you've already done that.

My hen stopped walking back in November and had a good appetite for a couple days. She ended up being on antibiotics and being tube fed for about a month and a half and made a full recovery around Christmas. It was a really bad infection that caused her abdomen to swell.

I know someone mentioned to stop when she has “white caps”. I thought white in their poo was normal?
White caps are normal, but if you start noticing that there is a lot of white (the caps seem bigger than usual or if she is having some poops that are just whites) that could be from the excess calcium. While some people give calcium supplements for weeks and weeks with no issue, she might not need it if she hasn't started laying again and giving extra calcium for a long period of time can be hard on the kidneys which have to filter it out of the blood. You can also throw off the calcium to phosphorus ration with supplements. On the other hand if she is still eating the tablets straight (or not eating enough feed) it's possible she is feeling calcium deficient.... Chicken nutrition is quite complex which is why I try to let the formulated chicken pellets do all the work. What is she eating these days? Any change in her condition?

White caps are normal, but if you start noticing that there is a lot of white (the caps seem bigger than usual or if she is having some poops that are just whites) that could be from the excess calcium. While some people give calcium supplements for weeks and weeks with no issue, she might not need it if she hasn't started laying again and giving extra calcium for a long period of time can be hard on the kidneys which have to filter it out of the blood. You can also throw off the calcium to phosphorus ration with supplements. On the other hand if she is still eating the tablets straight (or not eating enough feed) it's possible she is feeling calcium deficient.... Chicken nutrition is quite complex which is why I try to let the formulated chicken pellets do all the work. What is she eating these days? Any change in her condition?
Her skin looks a lot better now pink again. She eating just does not want to eat her chicken food really the only the we can get her to eat is like our left overs from dinner hamburger meat rice broccoli. I tried the oatmeal paste texture with her lay mash pellets but she was not eating so we ended up giving it to her sister. She still having issues with the one leg. We noticed today that they are alittle red and a white spot? Could this be bumble? She didn’t have this before the last 2 weeks. We are trying to get a hospital coup/pin together for her now so she can be outside more and more secure than the pin we have now.

Attachments

• EDA1ADBF-63B8-46BC-9DBC-5762AB8E65E4.jpeg
    EDA1ADBF-63B8-46BC-9DBC-5762AB8E65E4.jpeg
    622.2 KB · Views: 1
Her skin looks a lot better now pink again. She eating just does not want to eat her chicken food really the only the we can get her to eat is like our left overs from dinner hamburger meat rice broccoli. I tried the oatmeal paste texture with her lay mash pellets but she was not eating so we ended up giving it to her sister. She still having issues with the one leg. We noticed today that they are alittle red and a white spot? Could this be bumble? She didn’t have this before the last 2 weeks. We are trying to get a hospital coup/pin together for her now so she can be outside more and more secure than the pin we have now.
Does it feel hot to the touch?

Paralysis can be a symptom of many things ranging from international issues, infection, to injury. Do you have an exotic pet vet or avian vet nearby that can see her? I'm sorry if I missed this question being asked before.

I wouldn't give her anything without the guidance of a vet. There is a checklist to run through but it seems like you've already done that.

My hen stopped walking back in November and had a good appetite for a couple days. She ended up being on antibiotics and being tube fed for about a month and a half and made a full recovery around Christmas. It was a really bad infection that caused her abdomen to swell.
Oh no! I’m sorry that happened! I’m happy she made a full recovery!❤️ We don’t have a vet really by us that will treat a chicken, we did have one we used a few years back but he sadly past away and then another one we did find is quite expensive. Her abdomen doesn’t seem swollen at all though. Her right leg seems to be ok but her left one is the one she doesn’t want to put weight on.

How old is your girl? If this has been going on for a while and vitamins don’t seem to be helping I might would start considering the possibility of it being Mareks. You can have a blood test done to rule it out. You purchase the kit, overnight the samples, they process it and email you the results. You can have them do the Mareks and avain luekosis or whatever you may be concerned about. Well worth the money imo.

https://www.vetdna.com/products

Back
Top Bottom