Hen having trouble laying proper hard-shelled eggs

CozyDia

Chirping
May 4, 2022
SE Texas
My one White Leghorn (unknown age, definitely over 2yrs old minimum, maybe older than that) that wandered into my backyard has been laying eggs consistently with hard shells once she settled down here, but for the past few weeks she's been either not laying, laying the egg without the eggshell, or laying eggs with fragile shells.

Her current diet is a mix of Nutrena Hearty Hen Layer Pellet Feed and Purina Flock Raiser Crumbles since I have a mixed age flock. I also mix oyster shells in her usual food and left a container of them in her coop to eat when she needs it. The problem still persists though. I was considering getting calcium citrate and smashing them into a fine powder and dusting it into her food as I read that helps, but I'm not sure. Any advice to help my old hen would be appreciated!

for the past few weeks she's been either not laying, laying the egg without the eggshell, or laying eggs with fragile shells.

I was considering getting calcium citrate and smashing them into a fine powder and dusting it into her food
Is she starting to molt?
What's her poop like?
Photos of your hen may be helpful.

Any bloat or swelling of the abdomen?

I wouldn't go to the trouble of smashing up the Calcium Citrate with D3, she should be able to swallow the pill just fine if you pop it into her beak. Give 1 daily for a week.

Look her over for lice/mites too.

Back
Top Bottom