Hen health after hatching chicks

chfriedmam

Songster
8 Years
Dec 20, 2015
North Hollywood, CA
Hi, so my bcm hen was broody in fake eggs for a few weeks, then I gave her real eggs. So she was broody a bit extra let’s say. And 5mos ago she was broody forever til I slipped her some chicks (so broody 2x in a year).

She now has 4 chicks. Her comb is pale but her feathers LOOK ok, but I’m finding her short feathers everywhere-she’s my only black bird. A LOT. It’s October, could she be moulting right after brooding chicks? Is it Stress?

In general, is there anything special I should do to help her recover? She’s done such a great job. Ty. PS she eats chick feed but can also reach the high up layer feed. I’ll be switching to am all-flock soon

I’m finding her short feathers everywhere-she’s my only black bird. A LOT. It’s October, could she be moulting right after brooding chicks?
This is a normal time for a hen to molt.

And some hens molt after they hatch eggs, even when it is not fall. Sometimes that is a partial molt rather than a full molt, but considering the season she might just do a full molt and be ready for winter.

I don't think you need to worry, as long as she seems fine otherwise.

In general, is there anything special I should do to help her recover? She’s done such a great job. Ty. PS she eats chick feed but can also reach the high up layer feed. I’ll be switching to am all-flock soon
I think you are already doing what I would recommend: provide water and chick feed, so she can have as much of each as she wants.

A hen does lose weight when she is broody, but some of that weight is fat that she stored up in advance. Losing the fat doesn't hurt her. Her reproductive organs shrink (and weigh less) while she is broody, but that doesn't hurt her either. So broody hens can lose quite a bit of weight with no harm at all.

Regardless of whether she lost only weight that is fine, or whether she also lost weight that can be a problem (like muscle), it is best if she has plenty of high-protein food (like chick starter), so she can eat the amount her body says is right. At some point, her reproductive organs will get ready to make eggs again, and she will store up some new fat, and she will be ready to lay eggs and then go broody again (I'm assuming she will go broody again, given what you said of her history!)

This is a normal time for a hen to molt.

And some hens molt after they hatch eggs, even when it is not fall. Sometimes that is a partial molt rather than a full molt, but considering the season she might just do a full molt and be ready for winter.

I don't think you need to worry, as long as she seems fine otherwise.

I think you are already doing what I would recommend: provide water and chick feed, so she can have as much of each as she wants.

A hen does lose weight when she is broody, but some of that weight is fat that she stored up in advance. Losing the fat doesn't hurt her. Her reproductive organs shrink (and weigh less) while she is broody, but that doesn't hurt her either. So broody hens can lose quite a bit of weight with no harm at all.

Regardless of whether she lost only weight that is fine, or whether she also lost weight that can be a problem (like muscle), it is best if she has plenty of high-protein food (like chick starter), so she can eat the amount her body says is right. At some point, her reproductive organs will get ready to make eggs again, and she will store up some new fat, and she will be ready to lay eggs and then go broody again (I'm assuming she will go broody again, given what you said of her history!)
Ty. I just feel bad for her. Yes maybe it’s a combo of seasonal and “posthatch” mooting

Back
Top Bottom