Hen is lethargic, has been laying odd eggs, found some membrane hanging from her vent. Treatment?

Rhyara

Chirping
Sep 22, 2022
Mn
Our girl has laid eggs daily since she started last year, and once we found we had lice I treated everyone and everything. Since then she has been laying odd eggs (super thick or wrinkled, pale and thin, shell-less, thin shelled) she got better, after putting poultry cell in the water, but when we did the second round of ivermectin it started again...
InCollage_20230828_165936751.jpg

Checked the coop camera and there were some large splats that happened overnight (usually can find traces of the soft shell after that but couldn't today) and she went into the nesting box from about 3:50-6:20am, she was in there again when I went to let them out around 8.

Today she's acting lethargic, and isn't interested in treats, although I did feel something in her crop. And she usually jumps in my lap and pecks me *demanding* cuddles and pets. Today she just stood there and looked at me. I picked her up and inspected her (found the membrane, her butt is dirty, but I don't see any sign of a brolen yolk) she enjoyed being pet, looked very sleepy, but again didn't want treats.
20230828_161848.jpg

As soon as my husband is off work, I'm planning on giving her a soak and trying to glove and lube up fingers and try to fish out any membrane I can find.

We have some antibiotics, (has to be fed, we dont have needles) but don't know which one is better to use. (And dosing on the fish mox)

Antibiotics:
InCollage_20230828_165242749.jpg

Any other treatment recommendations?

My sweet girl:
20230508_171404.jpg

Eta: our chickens have free access to oyster shells, when the soft shells/shelless eggs started they her second egg of the day, and so I figured that was no cause for real concern as its hard to make 2 full eggs in one day, I guess I was wrong...

Last edited:
For the next week I would get some human calcium citrate with vitamin D and give her 600 mg daily into her beak to swallow. You can find that at WalMart, Walgreens, Target, Sam’s etc where vitamins are sold. She may be having signs of a reproductive disorder. Have you ever seen any sneezing in your chickens which can be a sign of infectious bronchitis?

They all sneeze occasionally ever since they were a day old...maybe more often once they moved into the run, but we have a sandy yard so I wasnt too concerned, maybe I should've been... she has had some liquid splash on me when she sneezed before.
I have this one on hand, is that okay? I can probably pick up one with Citrate tomorrow if need be.
20230828_210454.jpg

We soaked her bottom for about 15 min, (she had a small regular looking poo during that time) then I went in with a gloved petroleum jelly finger and felt around, nothing felt like it stuck out and just felt soft. Some clear slightly thicker liquid came out of her after I took out my finger. It could be she passed the rest of the membrane while I was gone, but I didn't notice it in the run.
Her comb was a little pale earlier, and has reddened up. She is a little less lethargic, but not her regular self. She went to bed a bit earlier than usual.

Attachments

• 20230828_210454.jpg
    20230828_210454.jpg
    175.5 KB · Views: 4
I gave her one of those tablets along with a bantam-sized egg yolk.
Her temperature was 106.8 this morning...
Also gave her a mineral oil enema at the recommendation of a few posts and a guide in my crossbeak group, got about 30ml in her vent.
20230829_082824.jpg

My sweet girl putting up with all my treatment "nonsense"

That calcium is fine to use, but the citarate is the most easily and quickly absorbed by the body. I would not give her an enema anymore. That can flush fecal bacteria from the vent back up into the oviduct. Usually the egg membrane will pass on it‘s own in the droppings. The chickens will eat them many times if they see them first. I hope that she gets better.

The Aqua Mox or any other amoxicillin is fine to give. Dosage is 125-250 mg given orally twice a day for 10 days.

Chickens normally don’t lay more than one egg a day or every other day, but if there have been eggs backing up in the system, you might see 2 in one days.

Well that's really unfortunate... I'll get her started on antibiotics when I get home.

I'm worried that her sister (an EE) has the reproductive disease too. She hasn't laid for a couple months and her comb is very red.
She had the same shell-less egg hanging out of her issue, but no one commented to help then :(
Shes doing okay other than the not laying, but I'm guessing it's internal. I hate that vets won't treat chickens... I called or emailed all the vets ina good radius that I could find and everyone said they wouldn't take a chicken. So I'm just going to have to love her as long as I can.

Both my sick ladies are my snugglers. They both hop on me and demand to be held and pet.
I love them so much... I don't care about their eggs, they could never lay again for all I care, they're my family.

FB_IMG_1693340855025.jpg

I've gotten 2 doses of antibiotics in her. She's still lethargic but managed to jump on me for cuddles today. Hoping that's a good sign, but her poo the past couple of nights is worrying me... some green yesterday and some yellow today.
InCollage_20230830_122512243.jpg

Back
Top Bottom