Hen laying soft shelled eggs constantly!!!

You really should start some calcium now. I recommend calcium citrate with D3, and the generic Equate brand is under $9 at Walmart. That will help the soft egg problem if she has a calcium deficiency. If that does not help after 7 days dose, it could be a shell gland (oviduct) problem. The vitamin E could increase laying, but now the problem is the soft shells. Equate also sell E400 IU for $9. Generic vitamins are fine and will reduce the cost.

You really should start some calcium now. I recommend calcium citrate with D3, and the generic Equate brand is under $9 at Walmart. That will help the soft egg problem if she has a calcium deficiency. If that does not help after 7 days dose, it could be a shell gland (oviduct) problem. The vitamin E could increase laying, but now the problem is the soft shells. Equate also sell E400 IU for $9. Generic vitamins are fine and will reduce the cost.
Thank you, yes I'm going to buy some Calcium Citrate and D 3 today along with the vitamin E oil. Thank you again for your help.

Just for more info, if receiving a balanced fresh chicken feed, chickens will get plenty of vitamin E. If feed gets old, vitamin e can leech out of it. Foods high in E are sunflower kernels, crushed almonds, or peanuts.

Just for more info, if receiving a balanced fresh chicken feed, chickens will get plenty of vitamin E. If feed gets old, vitamin e can leech out of it. Foods high in E are sunflower kernels, crushed almonds, or peanuts.
I agree that calcium/Vitamin D should be the first option, but don't doubt my veracity. I use a quality, fresh feed- Nutrena Hearty Hen and later Nutrena All Flock and have had good success with my girls for 7 years before running into a soft shell problem. Vitamin E was an excellent solution, but it doesn't have the same track record as calcium, so I recommend it as a second option only.

Back
Top Bottom