Hen looking sick at certain times of day, stopped laying - Antibiotics?

Hen is very active, and I saw an egg membrane in the coop so she is def laying shell-less eggs.

I've noticed these white specks every now and then. I assumed they were the hemp bedding from the coop but could they be tapeworm segments? The liquid texture is because I've given her strawberries (to hide the calcium tablet) and a lettuce ball.
Not sure what the specks are, could be the hemp.

Tapeworm proglottids will be moving in the poop, here a short video of what those look like.

Just an update for everyone and those who might be searching the forum for a similar issue.
- Though I started with calcium supplements first, my pullet was looking sicker everyday, so I started her on the antibiotics I had.
- She became better and seemed to have recovered completely (super active and eating), but has not laid again since for about 3 months +. She had been my strongest layer.
- Recently in the past 3 weeks, I have been seeing a few shell-less eggs, which I believe is hers. I have been giving calcium supplements every other day (I don't want to damage her kidneys) but there are no extra properly shelled eggs laid.

All in all, I think her reproductive system is glitchy.

Just an update for everyone and those who might be searching the forum for a similar issue.
- Though I started with calcium supplements first, my pullet was looking sicker everyday, so I started her on the antibiotics I had.
- She became better and seemed to have recovered completely (super active and eating), but has not laid again since for about 3 months +. She had been my strongest layer.
- Recently in the past 3 weeks, I have been seeing a few shell-less eggs, which I believe is hers. I have been giving calcium supplements every other day (I don't want to damage her kidneys) but there are no extra properly shelled eggs laid.

All in all, I think her reproductive system is glitchy.
Thanks for the update.

I agree, it may be something reproductive since she's going up and down every few months. A lot of times they will do that for a good while, so offer supportive care and see how it goes.

Back
Top Bottom