Hen missing a lot of flesh

docdubz

Songster
5 Years
Nov 24, 2016
Central Texas
I just noticed one of my hens is injured. I would have never seen it if she didn't escape her run just now. She seems unbothered by it but im guessing a hawk tried to snatch her. She's missing chunks of flesh on both sides of her back. The skin in the area is hard/dead. I have no idea what to do, I'm not sure if putting antibiotic ointment on the wound would be a good idea since it's a deep injury.

Attachments

• IMG_20210202_123203540.jpg
    IMG_20210202_123203540.jpg
    352.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210202_123123825.jpg
    IMG_20210202_123123825.jpg
    285.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210202_123115201.jpg
    IMG_20210202_123115201.jpg
    409.2 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_20210202_123111160.jpg
    IMG_20210202_123111160.jpg
    457.7 KB · Views: 8
Oh dear. Do you have a farm supply store near you? She needs antibiotics. Better safe than sorry. Whatever your farm supply store will have, I guarantee there is dosage for chickens. You can also order Baytril without a prescription. You can also try calling a vet and explain the situation. The wound from what I can see looks like most of the damage is to the skin, and if you can smell it, it is infected. The wounds need flushed very well preferably with a saline solution, vetericyn, or some other wound cleaner. I would then liberally apply silver sulfadiazine cream (available at farm supply stores) or a triple antibiotic ointment without pain killer. She needs to be isolated for at least a few days to avoid aggravating the wound or being picked on by other birds. I would also immediately put nutri-dench or some other poultry vitamin or electrolytes in her water. The more hydration the better! If the wound is located in an area where you can wrap her body with non-stick bandages and vet-wrap, this will be ideal, but some wounds are difficult to wrap. Moist wounds heal faster so if you can't wrap it, ensure the wound is rinsed frequently and/or covered with ointment.

Ok thanks. I have poultry cell that I'm giving her now but everything else I'll have to run to the store for. I think I will be able to wrap it, it's her back and sides under her wings towards her saddle.

Ok thanks. I have poultry cell that I'm giving her now but everything else I'll have to run to the store for. I think I will be able to wrap it, it's her back and sides under her wings towards her saddle.
It does sound like you should be able to wrap it. Keep us updated. I'll try to help where I can. If the wound smells, all precautions should be taken. Thankfully chickens are resilient so with good treatment she should be fine!

Poor girl! That is the worst! If you like going to natural route, i would spray the wounds really well with collidal silver. I know it sounds weird but collidal silver literally works to keep infections at bay, and to kill off any existing infections. I use it on all my animals- and even myself. Not only is it 100% painless, it is the best treatment for any sickness or infections i have ever seen! It even cured my friends dog of kennel cough!
Trust me, Collidal Silver works- even if you don't end up using it for this particular injury, i would def. keep it in your medical bag for later...it WILL come in handy. You can buy it on amazon for pretty cheap, (get the kind in the spray bottle, it's easier to apply)
Hope this helps!

Well I didn't go to the store because while preparing a quarantine cage for her she snuck off and I couldn't find her all day. She just came back about 5 minutes ago and then hopped in the run. And welp, I'm now sure it wasn't a hawk or any other predator. It was my roos. The moment her feet hit the ground inside the run they took after her like a pack of coyotes and mounted her savagely. Did not expect that at all because the roos I let stay in the main flock were always gentle and we'll behaved.

Back
Top Bottom