Hen or Rooster? Please help!

gotsignalinc

Hatching
Aug 17, 2023
We don’t know what variety this is but we are raising 11 chicks, all born the same day. She is 4 months old and has grown to nearly twice the size of the other hens. My 7 year old son has been suspecting she is a rooster and has been dying to find out. We don’t know her variety but maybe Barred Rock? Any help appreciated!

Attachments

• 0C2C7DAF-BCE8-4E74-B46C-4689AA605B87.jpeg
    0C2C7DAF-BCE8-4E74-B46C-4689AA605B87.jpeg
    638 KB · Views: 34
We don’t know what variety this is but we are raising 11 chicks, all born the same day. She is 4 months old and has grown to nearly twice the size of the other hens. My 7 year old son has been suspecting she is a rooster and has been dying to find out. We don’t know her variety but maybe Barred Rock? Any help appreciated!
I believe your "she" is actually a "he", and looks like a Barred Rock with some other breed back there in the parentage somewhere. I see evidence of sickle feathers on the back, maybe some pointy tail feathers beginning to grow, sickle feathers around the neck (which I've never seen on my BR hens), thick legs, and a bit of red feather "leakage" on the shoulders. Also, BR cockerels tend to have a black & white pattern that's pretty sharp and distinct, with more white than black (definitely see this around his neck) - while hens will have a more mottled or random pattern, with more black than white. In my flock, the BR combs and wattles are always slower to develop than the other breeds - so it's not surprising to me that your cockerel doesn't have a rooster comb yet, even at 4 months. It'll come. He's a pretty boy!

Back
Top Bottom