Hen quarantined for 3 weeks (respiratory?) now laying down a lot and closing eyes

If you see mites, then either use the Permethrin dust or the Ivermectin pour on. You want rid of the mites, even though they aren't her main issue, the mites drain a bird's energy.
Dose for Ivermectin Pour On is 0.09 ml per pound of weight apply at the base of the neck coming into contact with the skin.

Is there a bad odor coming from the face/head/beak?

You may need to syringe the medicated water into her several times a day to ensure she's getting enough fluids and medication. https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

I'm not sure what you are feeling between her legs. It could be the gizzard or she may have laid internally, have a tumor, cancer or other reproductive issue.

I'm sorry she's not improving. Sometimes all we can do is offer supportive care, try to treat the symptoms as they arise and access their overall quality of life from day to day.

Great! Do you know if I can do both Ivermectin pour on AND permethrin dust? I really need them to just go away!

Her face/head/beak all smell great! She still faintly smells like the soap I bathed her with last week.

So is it OK for me to assume what I'm feeling is not an egg? She wouldn't be able to go 3 weeks with an egg stuck, correct?

She ate and drank a little bit today and she's roosting on the side of her food bowl. That's improvement from yesterday, so I have hope for her!

Thank you so much for your response and the link! It is very helpful.

Last edited:
Yes, I checked her crop first thing this morning before the sun came up. I woke her up to evaluate her so it was definitely first thing. I think I psych myself out because at first it felt half full. But about 30 minutes later I felt again and it felt empty. 🤷‍♀️ She did eat and drink a little bit this morning, though!! 🙌

Her nasal plug was hard and waxy and had no odor that I could discern. I will think about giving the medicine orally. I worry a little bit because I don't want her to aspirate. Any idea what the concentrated dilution rate would be on Duramycin 10?
Here's a great blog for administering meds orally:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...dications-to-all-poultry-and-waterfowl.73335/

Great! Do you know if I can do both Ivermectin pour on AND permethrin dust? I really need them to just go away!

Her face/head/beak all smell great! She still faintly smells like the soap I bathed her with last week.

So is it OK for me to assume what I'm feeling is not an egg? She wouldn't be able to go 3 weeks with an egg stuck, correct?

She ate and drank a little bit today and she's roosting on the side of her food bowl. That's improvement from yesterday, so I have hope for her!

Thank you so much for your response and the link! It is very helpful.
You could do both I suppose, but either one should rid her of the mites.

With Permethrin, repeat dusting in 7 day intervals.

With the Ivermectin, repeat the dose 10 days after the initial dose.

You would also want to clean out her bedding when you treat her and dispose of it, since mites and lice can hide in the bedding as well.

Glad she ate and drank a little today. You may be feeling an egg in abdomen, there's no way to know for sure unless you lose her and have a necropsy, but going on 3 weeks, it's highly unlikely there's an egg stuck in the oviduct.

You could do both I suppose, but either one should rid her of the mites.

With Permethrin, repeat dusting in 7 day intervals.

With the Ivermectin, repeat the dose 10 days after the initial dose.

You would also want to clean out her bedding when you treat her and dispose of it, since mites and lice can hide in the bedding as well.

Glad she ate and drank a little today. You may be feeling an egg in abdomen, there's no way to know for sure unless you lose her and have a necropsy, but going on 3 weeks, it's highly unlikely there's an egg stuck in the oviduct.

Thank you! I’m actually surprised she has such a serious case of lice / mites. We tend to keep their run, coop, and nest boxes pretty clean and change out bedding and straw biweekly.

She’s much improved today! Surprises me a little bit since the only thing I did differently was clean out and flush her nasal passages. She ate and drank 3 times today! I still had to show her the food all day, but it’s worth it if she’s going to eat! She only weighs 12.9 oz today.

Back
Top Bottom