Hen suddenly being bullied...

kimber56

In the Brooder
Sep 13, 2016
Hello,

A little background- I have three hens and a rooster. We have one dominant hen who is the only surviving chicken from a previous flock. She was by herself for awhile; she roamed freely around our yard and roosted in the barn at night. About two years ago we got four chicks and built a coop and run closer to our house. Once the younger hens were the same size as the older one, we introduced them and until now they have all gotten along. Sadly, two of the younger ones died suddenly so we only have three remaining hens. Our rooster is the youngest of them all, but none of the hens mess with him.

A couple days ago I noticed one of my hens (out of the younger flock) had dried blood on her comb, and saw yesterday she had a fresh wound. She has never had any injuries like this before, and neither had any of the other younger hens, so I figured she may have cut herself. I watched them several times throughout the day and to my surprise our older hen is picking on her. The other younger hen has also began to join in. I know that they have a tendency to peck, out of boredom, curiosity, etc. and the others may also see this behavior and join in. My question is, why now?? Besides an occasional fuss over food, my older hen hasn't ever been aggressive. Our rooster tries to referee but gets distracted sometimes. It is possible they are bored, but we give them hay or leaves often to scratch around in, and there is never a shortage of food or water. I currently have the bullied hen separated, but I don't want her to become stressed from being by herself. Any advice??

Maybe the didn’t cause the injury. I think they may be pecking because of the wound. I’d try blue kote(sp?) or something similar.

Edited because I can’t type today.

I had thought that too, but today I noticed she won't leave the coop. It's almost as if she's scared?? I don't know what's going on, but it definitely isn't normal behavior for my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom