Hen suddenly paralyzed from rear end

ManueB

Crossing the Road
Premium Feather Member
Sep 15, 2021
Daluis, 06 France
Piou-piou is an 11 months old mutt. She was a runt chick and has stayed small with slightly deformed legs (too small). She weighs 1kg.

She has been isolated for nearly two months after we discovered a bad wound under her wing from her rooster's mating. She had to go back to the vet for stitches on the 2d of may as her wound had reopened, but since then it's almost completely healed. Three days ago we began letting her free range on her own for two hours period supervising her

Yesterday afternoon, after acting completely healthy we saw her suddenly thrashing around for a minute : shaking her head wildly and moving backwards.
After that she looked very unwell so I put her back in her crate. She kept losing balance. She had another thrashing episode shaking her head and body. She climbed on her small roost but fell. She could not stand on her feet. She had her wings wide spread and her mouth open.

We thought she may have swallowed something that was stuck. We could not look inside her beak as she was trashing around too much, however feeling her trachea nothing felt wrong. Her old wound was not reopened. We could not find anything broken or any injury.
We put her to sleep in the crate. She ate a lot of commercial feed but had trouble lying down to sleep.

This morning we put her on a table to observe her. She stands upright on both legs but as soon as she moves she stumbles to the side. It's as if her rear end was paralysed. I couldn't feel anything special touching her wings. She ate and drank very little and is now sleeping.
Other symptoms are that she did not poop throughout the night, her crop felt hard and not empty this morning, and she is hot.

I'm at loss with the cause. Possible thoughts : we may have a respiratory type of disease in our flock as two chickens have had a swollen eye / side of the face in the last ten days (one only today) but they showed no sign of illness. But would it happen so suddenly ? This morning her breathing is normal.
Other thoughts : could she have swallowed some type of poison or have had a stroke ?

She is too unwell to be taken to the vet (it's a two hour difficult ride). Any suggestions for helping her would be appreciated; I'm in France so I don't have access to the same exact medications as in the US.

Videos showing her attitude:

Sorry about your girl.

I think it's a good guess that she had a stroke, but it is, of course, just a guess. My most immediate concern would be that she isn't digesting/pooping. A chicken can't live long like that. I'd see if you can get her to drink some water, massage her crop, and hopefully get things moving.

I get that you can't take your girl to the vet at the moment, but might your vet take a follow-up call about her? It's possible the side wound led to this problem through infection or a blood clot or something.

Thank you both for the advice. I did massage her crop and it seemed to make it better.
She laid an egg toward noon. It was difficult but now she's on her feet and she doesn't seem paralysed anymore, though she still looks sick and slow.
It looks like she may possibly recover which I thought impossible this morning.
I will try to call the vet tomorrow, she's not at work today.

I did massage her crop and it seemed to make it better.
She laid an egg toward noon. It was difficult but now she's on her feet and she doesn't seem paralysed anymore, though she still looks sick and slow.
This!
She laid an egg and now is on her feet and doesn't seem paralyzed anymore.

She may have been having trouble expelling the egg and it was pressing on a nerve causing the paralysis.
I'd work on getting extra Calcium into her for a week to see if this helps. Here in the U.S. the easiest way is to give Calcium Citrate with D3 (human calcium supplement found at pharmacies or on the drug/vitamin aisle of stores). 1 tablet daily, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow.
Another that can be used is Calcium Carbonate like found in TUMS (an antacid) and lastly some use Calcium Gluconate (liquid found at feed stores).

If nothing like that is available, then I'd choose to give her 1tablespoon quality yogurt (whole milk) with finely crushed egg shell.

Re-check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. If it's not, then address that symptom as well. You may find her digestive system is working better since she laid the egg.
But if the crop doesn't empty, then work on that too. Coconut oil 2X a day is what I usually start with, massage. If the crop has soured, then don't massage. Give the oil and start an anti-fungal. This can be from your vet or if you can get miconazole or clotrimazole over the counter, then you can use one of those.

This!
She laid an egg and now is on her feet and doesn't seem paralyzed anymore.

She may have been having trouble expelling the egg and it was pressing on a nerve causing the paralysis.
I'd work on getting extra Calcium into her for a week to see if this helps. Here in the U.S. the easiest way is to give Calcium Citrate with D3 (human calcium supplement found at pharmacies or on the drug/vitamin aisle of stores). 1 tablet daily, just pop it into her beak and let her swallow.
Another that can be used is Calcium Carbonate like found in TUMS (an antacid) and lastly some use Calcium Gluconate (liquid found at feed stores).

If nothing like that is available, then I'd choose to give her 1tablespoon quality yogurt (whole milk) with finely crushed egg shell.

Re-check her crop to see if it's emptying overnight. If it's not, then address that symptom as well. You may find her digestive system is working better since she laid the egg.
But if the crop doesn't empty, then work on that too. Coconut oil 2X a day is what I usually start with, massage. If the crop has soured, then don't massage. Give the oil and start an anti-fungal. This can be from your vet or if you can get miconazole or clotrimazole over the counter, then you can use one of those.
I have calcium carbonate and calcium gluconate, but have never been able to find calcium citrate tabs here.
The anti fungal isn't OTC but I'm sure it's not sour. It's still hard and no smell this morning however she passed a few healthy poop during the night. I will go on with massages and oil.

I still dont understand what could have made her thrash around. It doesn't seem to fit with the pinched nerve, especially as she had laid an egg just two hours before.

You can use either one of those calcium supplements they should be fine.

I'm not sure what caused the thrashing about, it's one of those things you'll have to wait and see if she continues to have that symptom.
Check her over really well for any lice/mites, infection in the ears, etc. when you work on her crop.

Is her wound completely healed up now or are you having to still tend to it daily?

You can use either one of those calcium supplements they should be fine.

I'm not sure what caused the thrashing about, it's one of those things you'll have to wait and see if she continues to have that symptom.
Check her over really well for any lice/mites, infection in the ears, etc. when you work on her crop.

Is her wound completely healed up now or are you having to still tend to it daily?
She is doing better now. Crop is back to normal and so are her poops. She is still a bit slow and tired.

Her wound is completely healed, I don't tend it anymore, but the feathers are just beginning to regrow so she has a huge patch of bare new fragile skin.

I will check again but she's one of the hen I check the most regularly since she's been wounded and I've never seen any mite or lice. I'll have a look at her ears today, that could be an explanation.

Yes, I will be watching her closely, and I'll give some feed back. Thank you very much for taking the time to help.

Back
Top Bottom