Hen terrorized of rooster

Maybe she is is just an easier target. Maybe the other hens dont allow him to mate them as much, so hes "deprived". Usually hens prefer older more mature roos, especially if they are older themselves... oh, i just went back and read where you said the other hens refuse to let him mount them, so what i said about her being an easy target is likely the case. Theres to much competition among the other roos, so he likely just takes what he can get and takes advantage of her since he knows he can. I have found 1 roo to 14 hens is a good ratio for me, so 3 roos to 10 hens is probably way to much over breeding for the hens and under breeding for the lower roo. Not a pleasant combination. He can seriously hurt her and i would recommend finding him a new home. He seems to be the problem roo to her. Not that its his fault, but he would probably be better off in a flock of less roos and more hens. Or, start him a flock of his own. However, being free range, that would be quite difficult.. If he is pulling feathers and terrorizing her, yes, he is being to aggressive and hurting her, even if it may not seem like it to you. Over breeding or mounting multiple times can cause vent damage and reproductive damage as well, so his "hurting her" may be more than what meets the eye.

Thanks everyone for your insight! I’m beginning to think it’s a mix between maturity, Carla being nervous, too much roos and maybe the fact that it’s spring? Anyway, I’ll separate Popcorn for a bit, so they calm down and let Carla heal. I’m getting some (matured) hens next month so it could help... When I put them back together if it isn’t better well I’ll find him a new home I guess.:fl

Thanks everyone for your insight! I’m beginning to think it’s a mix between maturity, Carla being nervous, too much roos and maybe the fact that it’s spring? Anyway, I’ll separate Popcorn for a bit, so they calm down and let Carla heal. I’m getting some (matured) hens next month so it could help... When I put them back together if it isn’t better well I’ll find him a new home I guess.:fl
Yes, spring has alot to do with it. Hormones are raging as its mating season. Your plan sounds great! More mature hens definitely should help. Oh, does Carla accept the other Roos, or is it just him? Some hens are just picky and won't accept sperm from Roos they either dont like or sense something may be off with him or his genes. Hens can actually internally reject sperm of a roo she isn't satisfied with. They can even harvest one roos sperm for weeks to use continuously if they aren't satisfied with anothers. They just have that instinct, much like they reject eggs they sense is infertile or "bad". Could be why the other hens don't allow him to mount either, and not just his maturity/dominance. He may very well just be poor breeding stock with bad genes the hens sense. He may just be naturally (tho no fault of his own) a "bad" breeder and shouldn't be breeding at all for health or genetic reasons.

Back
Top Bottom