Hen that seems to have balance issues

Redironfarms

Hatching
Mar 7, 2024
Hello! I noticed one of our hens yesterday wasn't acting herself she didn't really want to move and when I opened the coop door to let them out in the yard she didn't act like she wanted to go out usually they are waiting and run out. So this morning I went out to feed them and give them water and she can walk but not further than she has to its like she is top heavy or something she acts like she is going to fall over. She acted like she was hungry and went to the scraps but didn't eat. So I read about egg bound hens and it said to soak her in warm water for 20 min. So I did that and when I let her out of the water she pooped some runny light green and white stuff. Then she managed to get back under the coop with the rest and tried to clean herself and when she would put her head down to clean herself she would start to fall over and she would catch herself with her wing. I seen later that I probably should've put epsom salts in the water. They are maybe 4 years old not sure exactly we got them grown from a friend. What can I do?? We feed them feed for laying hens. I have been putting probiotics in their water with a bit of sugar also dried worms. I need help on what could be wrong and what to do!!

Last edited:
Can you post some pictures of her? How does her crop feel? Is it enlarged, firm, doughy, or puffy? Is she using her wings to balance or having weakness in either leg?

It sound like some sort if deficiency. What exactlt is their diet, including treats?
We feed chicken feed for laying hens, meal worms, oat and meal worm mix , bird seed with sunflower seeds , scraps. But they also are out in the yard every day for sure all afternoon. Today it's raining so probably won't want to go out
Probiotic water

Last edited:
We feed chicken feeed for laying hens, mael worms, oat and meal worm mix , bird seed with sunflower seeds , scraps. But they also are out in the yard every day for sure all afternoon. Today it's raining so probably won't want to go out
Probiotic water
Cut out all the scraps and treats, feed only a nice layer feed. Give her 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store, just pull down on her wattle and pop it in her beak, she'll swallow it.

Can you post some pictures of her? How does her crop feel? Is it enlarged, firm, doughy, or puffy? Is she using her wings to balance or having weakness in either leg?
I don't have a pic. It's pouring rain. She does use her wings to catch herself when she starts to fall over. She walks ok but just doesn't want to move a lot. I don't know a lot about chickens. So am trying to learn. Her comb is bright red. She's not panting. Breathing is normal and her heartbeat felt normal when I had her in the warm water

Cut out all the scraps and treats, feed only a nice layer feed. Give her 400i.u vitamin E capsule and about a third of a B complex tablet every day for a few weeks. Any brand from the grocery store, just pull down on her wattle and pop it in her beak, she'll swallow it.
So you don't think egg bound? They have just started laying again after the winter and molting

Back
Top Bottom