Hen trying to help with other hen's babies?

Lpskitfit

Songster
Oct 5, 2020
Hey guys, I let my broody hen, Mushu, incubate some duck eggs and they hatched today (three days early)! We had another hen, Nala, going on and off broody, and she would try to go help Mushu incubate her eggs. Mushu would let her sit on a couple, then take them back once Nala was done. Nala did this for about two days at a time, and only once a week. However, since they've hatched, Nala has decided that they are her babies too. Mushu seemed stressed out that Nala was in there, so I tried to take her out, but Nala was even more protective of the babies than Mushu! It seems like Nala actually thinks that these are her babies. Technically, they aren't theirs at all since they aren't chicks, but Mushu incubated them the whole time. Mushu seems to have calmed down and accepted Nala in there with her. Is this okay? Will it lead to fighting amongst my hens? Also, can I leave the ducklings in there with Mushu if I close off the section of the coop that she's in? They're free range, and she's in a dog house inside of the coop that can be closed.

Hey guys, I let my broody hen, Mushu, incubate some duck eggs and they hatched today (three days early)! We had another hen, Nala, going on and off broody, and she would try to go help Mushu incubate her eggs. Mushu would let her sit on a couple, then take them back once Nala was done. Nala did this for about two days at a time, and only once a week. However, since they've hatched, Nala has decided that they are her babies too. Mushu seemed stressed out that Nala was in there, so I tried to take her out, but Nala was even more protective of the babies than Mushu! It seems like Nala actually thinks that these are her babies. Technically, they aren't theirs at all since they aren't chicks, but Mushu incubated them the whole time. Mushu seems to have calmed down and accepted Nala in there with her. Is this okay? Will it lead to fighting amongst my hens? Also, can I leave the ducklings in there with Mushu if I close off the section of the coop that she's in? They're free range, and she's in a dog house inside of the coop that can be closed.
No they wont fight its fine if your okay with it if it were me I would seperate them.

Back
Top Bottom