Hen with a very bad abcess on her breast

lbcoats

Hatching
9 Years
Jun 28, 2010
Hello everyone! I'm hoping someone can help me, I have a goldlaced cochin bantam hen that i pulled off an abcess that looked like an extra wing sticking out of her breast. I work for a Veterinarian so i took her to work w/me and they helped me get the rest of the abcess out of her but it left a very large hole approx 3in long 1 in wide & 1 1/2 deep, some of it closed up by using neosporin/iodine/peroxide on it and gave her terrimycin water, unfortunatly this was 4 months ago, the abcess site has closed a little but it still drains constantly and keeps coming back, the warm weather is coming here in michigan & im afraid of flies getting to her. Is there anything else i can do or am i just making her suffer??? My vet doesnt know much about chickens.

For now pack the hole w/antibiotic ointment then apply Swat ointment (for horses) to keep flies off it. She may need more surgery to clean out the wound again.
wink.png

Ditto... lance it open.. clean it out and pack with neosporing... and the swat thing... This time don't let it heal from the outside in..
smile.png
Good luck.. She sounds like a real fighter so chances are pretty good... get to it.. snap snap...
smile.png

Thankyou all for your suggestions, I will follow up by letting you all know that only a very small portion (the deepest part) has healed, it keeps devoloping a yellow cottage cheese looking stuff & smells really bad. I keep it cleaned out every day & put iodine and neosporin on it but it is draining so bad all her other feathers are starting to stick together, I even plucked some of them out because there was getting alot of moisture under them. I will take her back to work & get it really cleaned out again & continue w/treatment. She is a really nice hen & lets me do all this to her without a sqauk! I will be very sad if I loose her. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom