Hen with Toe Injury

TheRedFlamingo

In the Brooder
Sep 25, 2023
I was away for a couple days and came home to my hen limping and hopping on one foot. I gave her an Epsom salt soak and have her separated from the rest of flock.

Would this be considered bumble foot or is it just an injury? I have a couple different treatment options ready to go.

IMG_4550.jpeg

View attachment 3689373

Here’s a photo of the bottom. It seems to be in good shape, at least to my inexperienced eyes.

Yeah it doesn’t look like there are any wounds or scabs on the bottom of the foot. You can check in the creases at the base of the toe and in between the toes too.

How old is she and what do you feed them?

I think if it were me I would spray with vetericyn or apply honey or some other appropriate ointment, cover in gauze to protect and wrap with vetwrap. Wounds need moisture to heal. I’d put her back out with the others if she’s not in too much pain. Wounds on top of the feet are generally easier because they aren’t being put under constant pressure or getting as dirty.

Yeah it doesn’t look like there are any wounds or scabs on the bottom of the foot. You can check in the creases at the base of the toe and in between the toes too.

How old is she and what do you feed them?

I think if it were me I would spray with vetericyn or apply honey or some other appropriate ointment, cover in gauze to protect and wrap with vetwrap. Wounds need moisture to heal. I’d put her back out with the others if she’s not in too much pain. Wounds on top of the feet are generally easier because they aren’t being put under constant pressure or getting as dirty.

Thank you. She’s about 5 to 6 months old. We got her when she was already a couple months old from a local farm so I don’t know her exact age. She free ranges with a flock of 20. They get layer crumble made by our local feed mill. They also get kitchen scraps, yogurt twice a week and we recently started fermented feed 2ish days a week.

I have some of that spray. I just need to get some vet wrap. I’ll probably keep her separated for a day or two until that arrives and to give her a break.

Overall, she’s in good spirits.

I would soak the foot in a chlorhexidine solution and clean the wound really well.
Apply a very thin layer of triple antibiotic ointment and wrap the foot.
Soak and change wrappings daily.

Back
Top Bottom