Hens Don’t Seem To Eat Oyster Shells

akf93

Songster
Jun 22, 2022
NE Indiana
I’m getting ready to mix a new little batch of chicks and ducklings with my 1 year old flock. Every time I’ve switched my hens to grower feed instead of layer and offered oyster shells on the side, we have tons of problems with soft/no shells. My hens don’t seem to eat the oyster shells. They don’t like egg shells either. Any advice?

How old are the little chicks and ducklings?

It is possible to keep both layer feed and starter out at the same time and see if the adults choose the layer feed. Mine tend to still eat what they need of it.

Another option is to offer some veggies high in calcium instead of scratch as treats.

I hang the layer feed just a little too high for the chicks, and offer the chick starter/grower in a location the big hens can't reach. I use a rabbit hutch without a bottom, so the littles can run in and out underneath. When they get too big for this kind of setup, I just offer both feeds. It doesn't eliminate the hens eating my chick starter, but it least reduces the amount of time they're doing it. They like black soldier fly larvae, which are high in calcium too.

I’m getting ready to mix a new little batch of chicks and ducklings with my 1 year old flock. Every time I’ve switched my hens to grower feed instead of layer and offered oyster shells on the side, we have tons of problems with soft/no shells. My hens don’t seem to eat the oyster shells. They don’t like egg shells either. Any advice?
There is a reasonably easy long term solution to this and it can be great help in administering other medications and feed enhancements. Change from layers pellets to layers crumble and make a mash by adding a little water. Most chickens I've known like a mash. The only thing that might prove to be a problem is getting grit down them. Some grit in the mash can be a solution and if the hens get onto natural ground enough they will find sufficent grit there unless the soil is particulary unusual.

Once you've got them eating mash then adding some calcium carbonate or better still calcium citrate with D3 becomes relatively easy as does adding a wormer.

It would be best to feed the chicks seperately, at least until they are at the point of lay as their calcium requirements are much less than laying hens. The same applies to the ducklings.

I have roosters and young chickens so I feed a flock raiser without additional calcium.
About a year ago, I couldn't find oyster shell anywhere. The hens weren't eating what they had, but it had gotten wet, and it occurred to me that maybe it had lost some nutrients. I don't know if it really loses nutrients, but I decided I probably needed new oyster shell.
Since I couldn't find any in the stores, I ordered some from Chewy. They were out of the cheap stuff that I usually bought, so I ordered 5lbs of Small Pet Select flaked oyster shell. My hens ate that up in less than a month!
The old stuff (5lbs) had lasted over a year!
Now I spend more on oyster shell, but it gets eaten. I buy 10lb bag of Small Pet Select Flaked Oyster Shell off Amazon, every 3 months.
I sound like an advertisement, but I'm really happy with this oyster shell, and my egg shell quality.

Back
Top Bottom