Hens in nesting box with broody hen

DottieGirl

Songster
Mar 13, 2023
One of my hens has gone broody but I have another hen that will not get out of the same nesting box. This is the first time any of my hens have gone broody. Does it matter that the other hen will not get out of the nesting box with the broody hen? I moved the hen that wasn't broody but she went back into the same nesting box. Should I try to get her out of the nesting box or leave her alone?? The broody hen doesn't do anything which is surprising because my broody hen is aggresive toward the non broody hen. Can anyone help me?

Other hens interfering with broody hens can result in cracked eggs and low % hatches. Do you want her to hatch eggs? If so I would make sure the other hens do not have access to her nest.
I do want her to hatch her eggs. Do I need to move the broody hen from the coop while she is sitting??

I just had the same issue, except in my case, they were chasing her out of her nest so she was trying to sit on a new set of eggs every night. I ended up moving her to a dedicated area so she wouldn’t be bothered and she hatched out 2 on Tuesday

Back
Top Bottom