Hens not laying

Mp157

In the Brooder
May 2, 2022
Hey all. Just looking for some advice. I have 6 hens of all various breeds. Around August their egg production dropped significantly. And for the past month or more there have been no eggs. I do understand they go through a molting process but this seems really long. They also seem to not want to eat or drink as much. Any help or advice would be appreciated!

Hey all. Just looking for some advice. I have 6 hens of all various breeds. Around August their egg production dropped significantly. And for the past month or more there have been no eggs. I do understand they go through a molting process but this seems really long. They also seem to not want to eat or drink as much. Any help or advice would be appreciated!
After they molt, the day light hours are too short to stimulate ovulation and they will stop laying until the days get longer. I typically see production start back up in February.

Assuming they aren't ill, it's about day length in winter. I would check them at night while roosting, with a flashlight, looking around vents, neck, and under wings for signs of mites or lice, which need to be addressed.
Otherwise, a small light in their coop, timed 3am to 8am every day, will bring up some egg production before early spring. Most hens do need 14 to 16 hours of light to stimulate their egg production.
Mary

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom