Hens or Roos?

Uh oh... you only have one pullet. This seems to be happening to people recently so for future reference to anyone who wants Sapphire Gem pullets, do not pick any bird with a head spot or barring! Same deal as Black Sexlinks, just these guys have been diluted with the blue gene

Chances are pretty slim. Stores dont take back chicks, even if you bought pullets and end up with a male. You bought straight run.
I called the manager and explained I had 3 males. She let me return all 4 (they sell them in groups of 4) and we went home with 4 black sex link chicks labeled “all female”. Lesson learned and grateful to an understanding manager!

I pick up 4 sapphire gems today and they were labeled as straight run. I didn’t get to choose or see them until i got home and now I believe I might have 3 roosters. Three have lighter spots on their heads (salesperson didn’t know age, I’m guessing 2-3 weeks?) and their feathers look barred compared to the one who is a solid color with solid color primaries. In the “group photo” I am wondering if the 3 on the left are roosters.
To early to tell.

Back
Top Bottom