Hens sharing nest

EvansFamilyNH

Chirping
Jun 2, 2020
we have a trio of breeding Chocolate turkeys that we bought 2 weeks ago - 1 tom and 2 hens. One of the hens(2 yrs old?) started laying eggs one week ago. The other hen(3yrs old?)) chased her off the nest this morning as she was laying an egg and laid her own egg!
Should I separate them and give them each their own nest? Will they fight over the nest? Our plan is to let them hatch out on their own, providing they go broody of course. Eggs should be fertile as tom has been most affectionate with both.:love

we have a trio of breeding Chocolate turkeys that we bought 2 weeks ago - 1 tom and 2 hens. One of the hens(2 yrs old?) started laying eggs one week ago. The other hen(3yrs old?)) chased her off the nest this morning as she was laying an egg and laid her own egg!
Should I separate them and give them each their own nest? Will they fight over the nest? Our plan is to let them hatch out on their own, providing they go broody of course. Eggs should be fertile as tom has been most affectionate with both.:love
It will work out a whole lot better if they each have separate nests.

So we separated the turkeys. Tom has his own pen amd yard. Females each have their own stall and their own nest box. They were not happy at all last night at bedtime! Checked on them first thing this morning and they were trying to attack each other through the fence. They can see each other but can’t get into each other’s pen. We decided to put a solid covering between them so they couldn’t see each other. While working on getting that taken care of they ended up getting together and proceeded to fight, biting each others neck. Got the job done, each one back into their own pen and went off to work. Fast forward to this afternoon- they both had settled down over the course of the day. Let one out to go to the grassy yard and when we went to let the other out she decided to go and sit on her nest instead. Clearly broody... hissing when i go over to nest box to peek at her. The other has shown no signs of broodiness so gave the broody one all the eggs. Hopefully no more turkey drama!!

So we separated the turkeys. Tom has his own pen amd yard. Females each have their own stall and their own nest box. They were not happy at all last night at bedtime! Checked on them first thing this morning and they were trying to attack each other through the fence. They can see each other but can’t get into each other’s pen. We decided to put a solid covering between them so they couldn’t see each other. While working on getting that taken care of they ended up getting together and proceeded to fight, biting each others neck. Got the job done, each one back into their own pen and went off to work. Fast forward to this afternoon- they both had settled down over the course of the day. Let one out to go to the grassy yard and when we went to let the other out she decided to go and sit on her nest instead. Clearly broody... hissing when i go over to nest box to peek at her. The other has shown no signs of broodiness so gave the broody one all the eggs. Hopefully no more turkey drama!!
You are not through with the turkey drama. When you reunite all of them, they will go through all their pecking order fights. It is life with turkeys.

:eek: Just checked on everyone before i head off to bed.... tom turkey, who has a gimpy foot and can’t perch, is in the nest box sitting on the two eggs!!😂😂😂😂

Back
Top Bottom