Here is Hop-a-Long....

Jolyn

Songster
11 Years
Apr 5, 2008
Northern California
This is our three legged deer that i wrote about before. It's actually her back foot that she's missing. She seems to be doing ok. I did go buy her a salt lick. Haven't seen her use it but i'm sure she has when i'm not looking.
Here she is...
June2008gradcampingcoop162.jpg

Last edited:
Awwww, poor thing! They do have deer blocks at the Tractor Supply, at least ours do. It's brown which I believe is molasses and has corn in it, and I think it said apple flavored. Maybe something like that would help too. I hope she hangs around for you! I love watching our deer. Gave up on our garden because of them, they apparently liked our garden too. But I'd rather see the deer than have the garden!

I bet she barwired her foot off. I would take the salt lick out, only because there is the disease called CWD (chronic waste disease) It is commonly spread through out deer and sometimes does damage to the herd. Vermont fish&wildlife canceled all baiting or even feeding of deer in Vermont. We are now not allowed to ait deer with apples when we are hunting or purposefully feed deer. It kinda stinks for some of the hunters in Vermont (like me!) There is a couple ways for us to get around it though, hunt in apple orchards or over food plots. The Vermont population had dwindled some what from Chronic Waste Disease. Sorry a bit off topic. On the topic now: I hope she does well in the wild she is a very pretty doe. She does not look very health though; she looks very thin. I wonder if the loss of one of her feet could have some affect on what or how she is eating? If baiting or feeding deer is not illegal in your state, I would crucsh up the salt lick some what (like Chickenboy8 suggested) I would also suggest buying some deer corn for it, once again if it is legal. I am interested on how this deer progresses. Sorry I got a little off topic again. That's the way I get about animals. aren't deer beautiful?
smile.png

In northern cali you should be fine with the salt lick out...you could put a mineral and salt block combo out for her, some alfalfa or deer corn...or leave her some apples. Poor thing, she will have it rough being disabled within the herd...she will not get her fair share of food, which probably why she is alone so often. They love Rye too.
wink.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Blame the silly game hunting laws and regulations for that nonsense. When state governments decide to get their heads out of "you know where" and realize that deer population must be controlled or the entire population suffers, then they will stop the CWD. Other states have successfully done it.

DH and I, several years ago, went to New England and paid a heavy fee $ 500.00 (for both of us) to drop as many as we could in three days...no restrictions. This one little town had 100's of deer wandering the streets and into businesses looking for food. The deer in that particular area were sick, dying, starving and so forth because of the restricted hunting for many years previously. It is sad.

I am all for using your own food plot to get em in there and population control from there.

Ever since the Baiting Laws and Spikehorn Law our deer population has become a more stronger deer. THe deer that have been "taken" were small scrawny, 120-140 lbs., lucky to be 6 point, bucks. The deer that are taken now are Big bodied, 180-210 lbs., Gave pretty good thick racks. I think the CWD wiped out some of the bigger bucks, as well as does. The Spikehorn law was a law that made it illegal to shoot a deer with less than 3 points, or 2 points on one side. That allowed the bucks to get antler growth.
smile.png

We have a three legged deer too. She's been around for over nine years and has a baby or two every year. It looks like ours may have been in an accident because her one back leg is all twisted up and sticks out straight behind her. She does ok though, as she's been around for quite a long time! I think the hunters take pity on her, and most we've spoken to said they would not shoot her because of her leg. I have a few pictures of her, but she mostly comes around at night!

Back
Top Bottom