Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock cockerel/Rooster temperment.

MysteryChicken

Preserving Gamefowl, 1 Variety At a Time🇮🇳🇺🇸
Premium Feather Member
5 Years
May 31, 2018
Tawas City, Michigan
I'm wondering what the temperment of a Heritage Plymouth Barred Rock cockerel/rooster is most often.

Are they primarily a friendly type of boy?

Are they more human aggressive?

I've only had a Barred Rock rooster once, & he wasn't around long because my grandpa believes chickens are only good for two years, then you slaughter them. That's how it was when we started out with chickens, but since I started learning about them that changed.

The one we had was mean.

im no expert but pretty sure i had one heritage rock one time .. it was just slightly more lethargic than a regular rock .. roosters have a wide range of temperments i think alot has to do with just how 'alpha' they are .. the best plan is be sure to handle him alot, if i want a cooperative rock rooster i have to give them special attention and by the time theyre reaching maturity they need to be on their own feeding program that basically equals he dont eat unless im involved .. they really need their own 'place' also to be put up and they dont eat and roost with the hens .. so if i develop that kind of understanding with them, it works out very nice ... any aggressive or non-compliant behavior means no dinner lol ...

im no expert but pretty sure i had one heritage rock one time .. it was just slightly more lethargic than a regular rock .. roosters have a wide range of temperments i think alot has to do with just how 'alpha' they are .. the best plan is be sure to handle him alot, if i want a cooperative rock rooster i have to give them special attention and by the time theyre reaching maturity they need to be on their own feeding program that basically equals he dont eat unless im involved .. they really need their own 'place' also to be put up and they dont eat and roost with the hens .. so if i develop that kind of understanding with them, it works out very nice ... any aggressive or non-compliant behavior means no dinner lol ...
My boy is such a snuggler right now :lau , he's just 5 weeks old.
16045363205666878855589312326496.jpg
You have an interesting way of working with roosters.

Back
Top Bottom