Hi, my name is Sue and I am a new member

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
Hi. I am so glad to have found this site and the forum.

I currently have 11 chicks, 3 weeks old. They are a mixture I picked out. I have two cuckoo marans, three partridge rock, two red star, and four welsummer. Ten of them are hens and one of the welsummer is a rooster.

This is my first time having chicks. When I was a child and we lived in the country, my mom and dad had chickens every year. I remember how great they were and how much fun (at least for me) they were.

Right now at this time, I have them in the bathtub of my spare bathroom. Of course have plenty of pine shavings for bedding. Keep fresh water and food in there and the light. I use a regular brooder light with the red bulb. Plus I have a small container of grit for them. Just added a roost for them last night. It is pretty low to the ground, so they can get used to it. Will raise it as they grow and also get used to it.

I ordered the chicks vaccinated for mericks (hope I got that name and spelling correct). I do need to find out what other vaccinations I should give to the chicks as they grow. Back when my parents had chickens, vaccinations was not something anyone ever did or worried about. So I have no idea of what vaccinations to do.

I live on five acres, outside of a mid size town in Missouri. We are about half way between St. Louis and Hannable, MO.

Thanks for listening to me and I am very much looking forward to being a member, getting to know everyone and being part of the chicken family.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom