"Holding" quail eggs before hatching

bietsch624

Songster
15 Years
Nov 28, 2008
Can anyone tell me how long you can hold quail eggs until you have enough to hatch? Also, what condition should they be kept; i.e. temperature. humidity, light... I have 20 in the incubator now; day 4 and am hoping for the best.

Quote:
You will read from several sources that hatchability starts decreasing greatly after 7 days. However, when I set my eggs, I write the date on the top with a pencil, and you'd be surprised how many of the 1-2 day-old (fertile) eggs that don't hatch..........and how many of the 10 day-olds that do! My house has conventional flooring, meaning it's off the ground, and under-penned. I have an easily accessable door that allows me to put them under the house (where nothing can bother them), and where the temp stays very cool .......in the 60's even in August, and the humidity stays on up there, too. My hatch rates are VERY satisfactory!

Last edited:
Quote:
Oh yeah, they're churnin'em out. Been using them for pickleing so far till they get full blast, and giving folks around here some for hatching/pickling. I'm about to load the bator in about a week or so. Just been trying to get my "my house in order" so to speak with bators, pens, and such. Man, when you build a bird pen, you build a sho-nuff-condo bird pen. Dude, you gonna make me "kick it up a notch" on my pen buildin'.....
smile.png

Thats the second and last like it. I kicked the 3rd one back to one side. But I have studied your set up you got fine pens, as long as a train and in there own shed. Its too late to get humble, I saw your pix. But thanks just the same. Good to hear from ya my friend... Bill

Quote:
Hey, those pens of yours belong in a real estate flyer, Bill..........LOL....... I drop in every now and again, but between work, Little League ball, and everything else in between, my computer time is cut short, this time of year anyways. Take care, and keep up the world-class construction.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom