Hole in egg every time- why?

I think it is unfortunately a shell gland issue too. Photo of eggs below were taken february 2020. They are the eggs of a then 5-year-old hen. At age 4, she was still laying 5-6 jumbo eggs weekly. (Yes she was an incredible egg-laying machine.) In the photo, those are the first 2 eggs she laid in 2020. Same as your hen, the softshell "holes" were in Exact same place on egg shell. I knew it was an "uh oh" big problem. Until then, her eggs had always been perfectly formed, with hard shells & single yolks only, never double. She had full access to layer feed, oyster shell, & was otherwise in great health.

She never laid another egg last year, although i saw her in the nest boxes many times. So i knew she was laying internally, & didnt expect her to survive through last year. She did. And made it through this past winter. Until she again resumed "egg-laying" in february 2021. I saw her in the nest boxes at least twice, but never any of her eggs. She sadly passed away just 2 days ago. She was a special girl. I miss her a lot & always will.

Your hen is much younger than mine was when the problem began. If your hen's issue rectifies itself, please let us know. Hoping for the best for you both.

Attachments

• 20200220_152222~2.jpg
    20200220_152222~2.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 3
The aforementioned "breakfast" -
If you know exactly which bird is the problem bird, isolate her for a private breakfast. 2-3x a week serve a small bowl (like 1 Tbsp is fine) of wet or fermented feed with oyster shell mixed in. If she does not like chunks of oyster shell, crush it up or use the powdery remnants from bottom of the bag. Should only take her minutes to eat and after that she's free to go.

Assuming her issue is simply insufficient calcium intake, you should see results in a week or two, and you can try reducing it to 1-2x a week and should hopefully continue getting good results. If you still have the same issue, then you might need to try pills of calcium citrate instead for a faster, bigger calcium boost.

That said, in this case, I'm thinking the shell gland might be the issue so adding calcium won't fix it. One of my older girls, 5 yrs old, has been having issues with her eggs cracking at the tip upon laying, along with some weird shell swirls/wrinkles in that spot - the rest of the eggshell is solid so it's not a calcium issue. I've since added more padding to the nest box (a layer of bedding, then a folded feed bag to keep it in place/add extra padding, and then the top layer of bedding) and haven't had tip breakage from her eggs since then.
Thank you!

I think it is unfortunately a shell gland issue too. Photo of eggs below were taken february 2020. They are the eggs of a then 5-year-old hen. At age 4, she was still laying 5-6 jumbo eggs weekly. (Yes she was an incredible egg-laying machine.) In the photo, those are the first 2 eggs she laid in 2020. Same as your hen, the softshell "holes" were in Exact same place on egg shell. I knew it was an "uh oh" big problem. Until then, her eggs had always been perfectly formed, with hard shells & single yolks only, never double. She had full access to layer feed, oyster shell, & was otherwise in great health.

She never laid another egg last year, although i saw her in the nest boxes many times. So i knew she was laying internally, & didnt expect her to survive through last year. She did. And made it through this past winter. Until she again resumed "egg-laying" in february 2021. I saw her in the nest boxes at least twice, but never any of her eggs. She sadly passed away just 2 days ago. She was a special girl. I miss her a lot & always will.

Your hen is much younger than mine was when the problem began. If your hen's issue rectifies itself, please let us know. Hoping for the best for you both.
The egg does look the same. I’m sorry to hear about your girl 😕

I have the same problem. But the hole is on the end. And the membrane is still intact the eggs are fine to eat. I have had a “giant bullet” egg layer for 2 years. She’s a amberlink. And they are never double yolks but that weird ass shape 😂 lately it has a fragile spot on it. I can’t figure out the problem either.

Attachments

• 2874B186-CFBB-4E28-BAF5-76BE376A1C22.jpeg
    2874B186-CFBB-4E28-BAF5-76BE376A1C22.jpeg
    487.6 KB · Views: 0

Back
Top Bottom