Homemade corn, wheat, and soy free layer feed

Just wanted to jump in, and add a few of my views on this diet. Just advise based on my knowledge of poultry diets....

1) This diet is very low in energy. Adding fat will certainly help.
2) Peas do not have a very good balance of amino acids for poultry. And they are very unreliable for protein content. They are advertised at 20-22%, but are rarely that high. Realistically, they average about 18-19% protein. And even then, the crude protein doesn't matter, because the Lysine and Methionine are not very well balanced for chickens. Peas work in a chickens diet, but try to keep it below 25% of the diet.
3) See what your customers think about barley. Replacing some of the oats, with barley, will help with your energy requirements.
4) Using flaxmeal would be a VERY good idea for this diet. Using plain flaxseed wouldn't benefit the diets protein level. Flaxmeal will, and allow you to use much less peas. Keep flaxmeal to 10% of the ration. Much more than that could turn your whites to brown....
5)I am surprised your customers are concerned about wheat.... It is a great energy source if you were looking to replace corn.
6)Using dehulled oats would help energy tremendously.
7)Limit kelpmeal to 1% of the ration. Max 1.5%. It has virtually no benefit beyond that amount. For what it costs, you are throwing quite a bit of $$ away.
8)What is "A trace" of salt?? Too little salt could cause serious health issues, and too much could do the same very easily. Although too much is usually accompanied by loose bowels, and excessive drinking. Salt should be exactly .35% of a layers diet.
9)With this diet, you will most likely see fairly normal production for a while, but for a shorter duration, and your chickens might lose some weight. This, of coarse, depends on what else they have access to. If they are only eating this diet, it will have long term effects. Nothing serious, but probably smaller birds, and lower production levels.
10)Soaking the grains will not have a terribly bad effect on total diet protein, or energy. Your birds will simply drink less. That being said, only soak what you feel that you need to.... If a chicken is getting enough grit, they should be able to digest all of those grains without any soaking. I don't have a comment on the energy of the peas changing, but I wouldn't think it would make very much difference.

Last edited:
What’s the 1% DE? I’m looking for the same formula you’re asking about but for ducks.

If you’re feeding this formula to ducks that have free range of the yard to eat grass/bugs- do you still need to supplement with feed or is grass and bugs enough?

What’s the 1% DE? I’m looking for the same formula you’re asking about but for ducks.

If you’re feeding this formula to ducks that have free range of the yard to eat grass/bugs- do you still need to supplement with feed or is grass and bugs enough?
This thread is from 2011, my friend, please start a new one for updated information.

Unless you have roving feral flocks of domesticated poultry, you need to provide feed. Period.

Hi, I have been trying to formulate a corn/wheat/soy free feed for my layers because many of the people I sell eggs to have requested it. Here is what I have so far:

53% oats (soaked then ground)
29% split peas (soaked then ground)
8% alfalfa meal
5% fish meal
2% kelp
2% crushed eggshell
1% DE
trace of mineral salt

Everything is weighed dry, the oats and peas are then soaked for 24 hrs in acidified water, then ground. I am feeding at a rate of almost 5 oz per bird per day. I am worried if they are getting enough calories, and if it's too high in protein. Since I am feeding animal protein, I don't think there is problem with the amino acid content. Am I wrong? I have been thinking of adding a few ounces of fat for calories.

I've been doing a bunch of reading but there isn't much solid info on how soaking changes the available nutrition in grains and peas. Anyone have any experience with soaking? Do you need to feed more or less than unsoaked?

I do know the birds I am feeding this to are having a much easier time with the heat. They are hardly stressed at all, while my other birds on regular feed are panting.

Any feedback will be appreciated.

Thanks.
I can't say for sure, but the AVMA has recently released a couple of studies showing that soaking or steaming hay makes/changes protein making it much less available ( research is being done because horses with heaves / copd which are commonly fed soaked/steamed hay to reduce dust and spores)

Back
Top Bottom