Homemade or fresh delivery dog food?

SnootyHen

Crowing
Apr 18, 2020
Illinois
I switched my 3 dogs to The Farmer's Dog about 6 months ago and they're doing really well on it. But it's not cheap!!! Does anyone make their own or use a different brand that is less expensive but still good? I know I can buy meat and veggies for a lot less money than what I pay but I'm wondering how hard it is to balance what they need and time and storage with the reduced cost. Does anyone make their own or use a delivery service?

I admire you for wanting to make your own dog food. I did it many years ago when I had a Keeshond who suffered from idiopathic seizures. One of the possibilities was that the seizures were triggered by something in commercial dog foods.

I don't remember where the recipe came from, but I do remember endless Crock Pots full of meat and veggies, portioned out into small containers that were popped into the fridge.
It was a lot of work, but at the time, there was no alternative, like The Farmer's Dog. Balancing the cost of the time and effort with the upfront price of the natural food would be a tough call for me.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope someone else can steer you in the best direction.

I admire you for wanting to make your own dog food. I did it many years ago when I had a Keeshond who suffered from idiopathic seizures. One of the possibilities was that the seizures were triggered by something in commercial dog foods.

I don't remember where the recipe came from, but I do remember endless Crock Pots full of meat and veggies, portioned out into small containers that were popped into the fridge.
It was a lot of work, but at the time, there was no alternative, like The Farmer's Dog. Balancing the cost of the time and effort with the upfront price of the natural food would be a tough call for me.

Sorry I can't be more help. Hope someone else can steer you in the best direction.

In my mind, I am envisioning an hour or two on the weekend in the kitchen with music and wine as my son and I chop and brown and store and the lovely times we will share making healthy food for our wonderful dogs who will sit and watch with waggy tails and excited ears.

In reality, I will spend all weekend between swim meets and yard work and then either Sunday night I will remember I forgot to make dog food and have to stay up until 3am making it myself or remember Monday morning and have a :barnie moment when I try to see what we have in the fridge I can feed them. 😂

Plus a fridge full of dog food and no where to put people food. Right now it stays in the freezer and I take out the next day's food when I give them breakfast. But if I am making a week at a time, I won't bother to freeze it.

I make my own dog food, but I am unsure of how nutritionally balanced it is.

We have access to lower cost meat. Chicken, beef, pork... I cook the meat first, we eat the cuts that we can, and then I will usually boil rice with the meat or fat trimmings and like a bone broth.
I have added carrots and sweet potatoes which the dogs eat around or lick all the good stuff off of and spit on the floor.
I know peas are something they should eat, but have not tried it.
This meat rice concoction is added to dry food, and occasionally I mix in wet food.
I fill a large wonton soup container after they've eaten their meals, and the whole operation takes place on a back burner while I am cooking a regular meal.
Like 20 mins?

Not super complex, and they appreciate it.

I think dogs know how to balance their diets with grass grazing, or at least that's what they tell me when they ask for more meat or try to explain why they spit out the veggies.

I think dogs know how to balance their diets with grass grazing, or at least that's what they tell me when they ask for more meat or try to explain why they spit out the veggies.

I'm glad I am not the only one who has dogs that try to reason with me! LOL! Sometimes they actually know what they're talking about too!

For what it is worth, I feed my dogs Purina One. It is not cheap but it isn't super expensive either. Meat is the first ingredient. My dogs do well on it. They are a proper weight, their coats are shiny, and their stool is firm and virtually odorless. This last means they are digesting it well.

For what it is worth, I feed my dogs Purina One. It is not cheap but it isn't super expensive either. Meat is the first ingredient. My dogs do well on it. They are a proper weight, their coats are shiny, and their stool is firm and virtually odorless. This last means they are digesting it well.

I know there are good dry foods out there but I was asking about fresh.

Back
Top Bottom