Homestead Musings

morelcabin

Songster
12 Years
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario Canada
I'm out cleaning up the yard this morning, and I notice this...too funny...

We always lock our doors at night, because one of our kids is a real life psychopath (no exageration here) and we sleep better knowing no one, especially him, can surprise us in the middle of the night. My husband keeps a baseball bat beside the bed in case of emergency (and he almost got it one night himself when I thought he wasn't coming home but he ended up home from a bussiness trip early)
Anyway...so we lock our doors and have the bat right...but right outside the back patio door is a chopping block with a full time axe wedged into it...nest to this is a full gas can that we might need some day for a generator...with a BBQ lighter not to far from that hanging from a hook on the side wall...
At the back door we always have a couple of baseball bats and gloves for the boys to play catch...hmmmm we are really safe aren't we???? Haha.
Have a look around your back doors and see what you have there that an attempting robber could use against you in the middle of the night...you might be surprised!
wink.png

My SO is a police officer, so we are always vigilant:cool: Doors always locked, bat near at hand. (no loaded guns anywhere easy, though. Ammo and gun stored separately)

Although, there is diesel stored in the garden shed...

I lock all the doors at night.....and leave the front door key in the lock!
lol.png
My kids asked why we do this....I reply:

1. Anyone can climb through the windows we leave open on the porch at any time.

2. Its the last place anyone would expect us to keep it.

3. It takes a genius 20 min. to get the key in JUST the right place in the lock, after wiggling the key and jiggling the handle, and cursing under one's breath to get the darn thing open. After that......

4. We have nothing of value to steal, I'm too fat and old to be desired anymore, and we NEVER get company anymore!!!! If anyone comes in they are definitely staying for a card game and a chat!!
lau.gif
lol.png

Outside the back door( that we have to lock or the wind blows it open) is a couple of sweet dogs that first will bark, then wag you to death and expect food..... and some very alert chickens who will follow you everywhere you go, demanding food!!!
D.gif

We have a remotely operated, electrically locked gate at the end of a long driveway with an intercom to the house. If anyone wants to come down the drive way, they either need the code during the day or must call the house at night, after we're ready for bed.

Anyone coming near the house unannounced, in the middle of the night, has to contend with six guinea hens, three dogs ranging in size from 45 to 105 pounds, a 12 gauge shotgun loaded with buckshot, and (even more frightening) my menopausual (sp?) wife.

We don't get many late night visitors...
roll.png

We go with the "big scary dog" system.
lol.png
We have 3 rescued pit bulls. They are pretty much mooshy lovebugs, but I'd place bets on my boy Myles anyday if he felt threatened by an intruder in our home. Wouldn't suprise me if my other 2 didn't back him up, either. Though I don't know what kind of nutjob would come in the house in the first place with those 3 crazies!!
wink.png

And while I consider myself primarily a pacifist, I'm not entirely opposed to the idea of self-defense. And if I didn't learn anything else from my father, well, I did learn how to be a darn good shot. I know it doesn't make sense, a pacifist with a gun, but I have a few that I've never gotten rid of over the years. God forbid I ever had to make the decision to use one, but if I did I'm highly capable.

I never lock my doors. I have a Dobie and a German Shepherd that weigh over 100# apiece. I figure anybody stupid enough to walk through those doors will get exactly what they deserve. Not surprisingly, nobody ever has.

lau.gif

We lock all our doors, but there is no way to lock the garage door. We have an Australian cattle dog who would rip the face off of anyone who tried to walk through there though!

Other than that, I feel pretty safe here at night. My dad is a police officer and has a few handguns (Locked up safely, but he and my mom can access them if need be) and not too many people come around here at night. If they do, we would know. My dog barks when someone is at the end of the driveway, and we have a long driveway!

Quote:
LOL...you can't get to my back door without being bitten first. Now the front door, that is another story, the shotgun is in the coat closet. We live 30 miles from a town in a small community at the end of a cul-de-sac, most peope would think twice before taking their chances with us or any of our neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom