Hormonal little serama help

Jaime918

Songster
Nov 27, 2021
Pahrump, Nevada
This is my first rooster and he's becoming pretty feisty, which is easily manageable because of his size but I have concerns for my girls. My question is, how do I get him to quit trying to mate with my hand 😂 and be more gentlemanly to the other ladies? He grabbed one by the back of the neck the other day and did not want to let go because he couldn't get on her like he wanted. I just don't want anyone hurt because his hormones are raging.

Do I intervene when I notice? Do I let nature take it's course? Do I separate him temporarily?

How did your little boy do?
He's turned out pretty good. He's not so gentlemanly with the ladies still, he kind of sneak attacks but he's very protective of the girls, tidbits when they get fresh food, water, or treats and loves to crow in line with all the neighboring roosters. He's still pretty feisty with my husband, he'll hop on his shoulder and peck his ear. 😂

Here's a newer photo of him. He'll be 6 months the beginning of August.

IMG_20220705_092214.jpg

He's turned out pretty good. He's not so gentlemanly with the ladies still, he kind of sneak attacks but he's very protective of the girls, tidbits when they get fresh food, water, or treats and loves to crow in line with all the neighboring roosters. He's still pretty feisty with my husband, he'll hop on his shoulder and peck his ear. 😂

Here's a newer photo of him. He'll be 6 months the beginning of August.

View attachment 3205232
He's very handsome 😍 my boy sneakes on the girls too, but mine is like crazy sweet 😋

He's very handsome 😍 my boy sneakes on the girls too, but mine is like crazy sweet 😋
Aw, it's awesome when their sweet. He was super sweet as a chick, and he's leveled out a bit the past 2 weeks or so and becoming my sweet little buddy again. He was never to bad, but he was trying to chase for a bit until he realized I could just scoop him up with one hand and carry him with me until he relaxed. 😂

Aw, it's awesome when their sweet. He was super sweet as a chick, and he's leveled out a bit the past 2 weeks or so and becoming my sweet little buddy again. He was never to bad, but he was trying to chase for a bit until he realized I could just scoop him up with one hand and carry him with me until he relaxed. 😂
I am so glad he leveled out. I love when they are sweet, I love roosters and would have alot more if I had enough hens and space. Some day I will probably have a "Bachelor coop" and be able to breed a hole bunch of different breeds. I am planning to get a serama roo and hen as I will have enough hens for both. My boy is pretty chill with me and not super motivated with girls so I think they will be good

I've really come to enjoy my roosters as well. Such personalities! I wish I had unlimited space for chickens, don't think the hubby feels the same though. 😂

Our serama (Chicken Joe) is with 3 girls currently, fortunately he isn't super "active" in that department. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more girls for him eventually. It's currently him, and 2 little unknown bantam mixes(all 3 almost 6 months) and a 3 year old serama girl who after a week and a half finally got her to break her broody streak. I love how chatty the seramas are, and so many fun sounds. 😂

I've really come to enjoy my roosters as well. Such personalities! I wish I had unlimited space for chickens, don't think the hubby feels the same though. 😂

Our serama (Chicken Joe) is with 3 girls currently, fortunately he isn't super "active" in that department. I'll probably add 1 or 2 more girls for him eventually. It's currently him, and 2 little unknown bantam mixes(all 3 almost 6 months) and a 3 year old serama girl who after a week and a half finally got her to break her broody streak. I love how chatty the seramas are, and so many fun sounds. 😂
Ha I would have dozens more if I had room 😅 I can't wait to get seramas I love little chickens so they seem perfect for me. Bantams are the best 👍 😍

Back
Top Bottom