Horny teenage dove

Viergacht

Songster
5 Years
Nov 13, 2018
Puberty recently hit 5-month old Gibson, my ringneck dove, like the proverbial truck. All of a sudden he's been alternately preening and pecking at me, and now he's started, to put it bluntly, humping my hands. His body feathers poof out, he raises and flutters his wings, and he pretty much twerks. No physical contact, thought. It's pretty funny, except when I'm trying to type. When he get annoying I put him back in his cage and he hoots at me a bit, but he doesn't seem to be freaking out. Otherwise I let him free fly around the room when I'm there to supervise. He's my only dove, as doves aren't easy to come by here, or else I'd try to get him a friend.

My question is - is this a seasonal thing with doves, or is he going to keep it up constantly?

Puberty recently hit 5-month old Gibson, my ringneck dove, like the proverbial truck. All of a sudden he's been alternately preening and pecking at me, and now he's started, to put it bluntly, humping my hands. His body feathers poof out, he raises and flutters his wings, and he pretty much twerks. No physical contact, thought. It's pretty funny, except when I'm trying to type. When he get annoying I put him back in his cage and he hoots at me a bit, but he doesn't seem to be freaking out. Otherwise I let him free fly around the room when I'm there to supervise. He's my only dove, as doves aren't easy to come by here, or else I'd try to get him a friend.

My question is - is this a seasonal thing with doves, or is he going to keep it up constantly?
With doves it is a seasonal thing. Good luck this spring :sick :lau

Dear Viergacht, I have only owned doves for one year and am hardly an expert. But I can say that my juvenile male dove, Snickers, went through the same transformation at 5 months. He relentlessly pursued me as a partner and treated my hands like a dove. He was cooing constantly and it became a noise problem. I was really losing my patience and affection for him. As a last resort, I got him a female dove partner. After a dicey week, they bonded and became a very sweet pair. He seemed relatively happy. They sat on a number of eggs and nests. But Snickers never stopped his provocative approaches to me. He still tried mating with my hands and was very aggressive with me. I learned a lesson: that it's not a good idea to bond with a baby male dove, for it leads to an unsatisfying situation. Perhaps the outcomes are different for other birds. I have a few posts on this site that provide other stories of this dove and his situation. After a year, I had to re-home him, sadly. I hope you have better luck!

Back
Top Bottom