Horse purchase help

It is not a good idea to get a 5 year old Arab for your 11 year old daughter, ESPECIALLY if its a first horse for all of you. Arabs are like Thoroughbred horses, their bodies are not full mature till 5 years of age. There are planty of good 10 - 15, or even older, more experienced horses, which would make a good mount. Arabs can go for YEARS. On an Endurance ride, years ago, I rode with an 82 year old women, for a while, her horse was 26 years old.

Probably better to get a gelding also. Sounds like you are listening to your gut also, that is a very good thing to do.
I agree with much of what you said, except, the age of maturity. No horse is fully physically mature until 7 years old according to the most recent studies. The growth plates in their spine are the last to close, so putting heavy weight on the back of a young horse (younger than 7) is asking for issues down the road since that's not fully matured yet.

My first horse was a 10 year old, green, Arabian gelding. Luckily for me, he's a lazy beast and the most trouble I ever really had out of him was him refusing to move when asked... If he was a typical Arabian like my other 2, I would have been in trouble...

Much good input here. Yet I must add that in the modern show climate, you know "get them all fully finished and showing before age 3", no horse brought up geared for the show ring will ever 100% pass. Maintenance is to be expected. If your daughter has been riding this mare since 3 this is what you are looking at.

Some don't like this and discover that showing isn't for them. Others accept it and maintain the legs, knowing that's the cost of the ever younger horses under saddle. Some breeds are in training now before their 2nd birthday. (Don't get me started on the AQHA and how they really make their money)

The world doesn't care about my opinion of this, but that's the reality.

Yes older horses are steadier. But expect injections, daily meds, and special shoes. Their joints are even less likely to pass those flex tests after more years of round and round the ring. Still your best choice for 4-H or local shows. If she's entering the breed show world there are hard facts ahead unfortunately, if being competitive is the goal.

Good luck in your search.

I don't really have anything to add. Every one of the responses was spot on in my opinion.

I have been all for matching young horses & riders IN CONTROLLED settings w/ knowledgeable parents and trainers. I've also turned away many new owners (some weren't beginners, but) from some I've had for sale due to not feeling like they were a good match. I HAVE also had lists of other breeders/owners/trainers that had mounts that may have been better for what that person was looking for.

Whatever you do, don't lose your trainer. Sounds fantastic!!

As a breeder, I recently had not 1 but 2 genetic anomalies show up in some of our Shetlands. I dealt with it medically in some cases, have removed expensive ponies from our breeding program and have in the last 4 years done a LARGE amount of euthansia... :( I also purchased 3 geldings back from owners I'd sold them to when they presented with the issue after selling them. Locking stifles are NO JOKE and neither is cryptorchidism - even in ponies meant as pets or pasture companions (which have never been my aim to breed for).

Back
Top Bottom