Hot summer and animals

Chicken queen xx

In the Brooder
Apr 22, 2022
Hello I have a bit of a problem the room which my four new baby chicks are in is super hot as it on a south side room and I currently have an adult chicken and 2 budgies in the same room is it safe to turn heat lamp off for a couple hours

Hello I have a bit of a problem the room which my four new baby chicks are in is super hot as it on a south side room and I currently have an adult chicken and 2 budgies in the same room is it safe to turn heat lamp off for a couple hours
That depends on the temperature the room is staying at.

Can you show us a photo of your setup?

The chicks need a spot that is warm enough for their age, but they also need a cooler area. If you have the big, red, 250w bulb it's almost certainly way too much power for indoors.

If you don't want to invest in a brooder plate or make a mama heating pad then get a lower-powered bulb from the reptile section of the pet store.

Before I got the brooder plate I had 250, 150, 100, 75, and 60 for fine-tuning in my outdoor brooder (I probably fussed too much over getting it perfect. ;) ).

I didn’t recive this message till recently I have moved them from brooder and put them in a partitioned cage next to my hen so they have company my room is regularly quite warm there no longer under my heat lamp and it’s been two weeks now and there doing great I read that they need to be 4-6 weeks before there no longer under heat lamp but there 2 weeks and they’re feathering and fine

In case any questions to why my hens in a cage atm it’s because she’s on medication as she had an injury a while ago with her eye but is starting to recover as well as I can’t get her to eat food outside she spent most of her life indoors as she was only one of her eggs to hatch

I didn’t recive this message till recently I have moved them from brooder and put them in a partitioned cage next to my hen so they have company my room is regularly quite warm there no longer under my heat lamp and it’s been two weeks now and there doing great I read that they need to be 4-6 weeks before there no longer under heat lamp but there 2 weeks and they’re feathering and fine
Just don't rush them too fast off of heat, one colder night and that could be the end of them. If your room is that hot then turn the heat off during the day and just switch it back on in the evenings, I have had to do this regularly this summer.

Back
Top Bottom