House goose

How long do they sleep at night?
do you leave food out or do you feed several meals a day?
What gosling food did you give them?
I’ve heard they don’t sleep much and I worry about how much food to give them and I’m struggling to find many things for geese here so I’m thinking non medicated chick starter? Thanks

Difficult to say how long they sleep at night because im also asleep at night 🤣 but in general they will wake up periodically throughout the night to drink, eat whatever, i think its just instinct to get up occasionally to be wary of predators? As goslings, they will scream and scream for you when you go to bed - i could even be in the same room as mine and they would cry for me if they couldn't see me.

I personally just left food and water out all the time for them, i used those plastic takeaway tubs that you can get and cut gosling head sized holes in the lid to stop them climbing into their food and water and tipping it up.

We don't have a tractor supply here in the uk so yes i found it quite difficult initially to source food for them, but you can order it online - you'll hear a lot about Mazuri feed on these forums but i haven't seen it for sale in the UK, the two brands I use are either marriages or "the small holder collection" for 2 exhibition dewlap toulouse geese a 20kg bag lasts me approximately a month

Both supply non medicated duck and goose starter crumb.

https://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/s...rriages-duck-and-goose-start-crumbs-20kg.html

https://www.warleys.co.uk/product/allen-page-small-holder-goose-and-duck-breeder-pellets-20kg/

Obviously there are different stockists but just linked these so you know what youre looking for.

As a side note, its probably best to i troduce lots of different kinds of treats to then while they are young, cucumber, broccoli, carrots, romaine lettuce etc. Because geese can grow up to be quite picky eaters and its more difficult tp convince them to try something new when they grow up!

My boys favourites are cucumber, watermelon and grapes.

Difficult to say how long they sleep at night because im also asleep at night 🤣 but in general they will wake up periodically throughout the night to drink, eat whatever, i think its just instinct to get up occasionally to be wary of predators? As goslings, they will scream and scream for you when you go to bed - i could even be in the same room as mine and they would cry for me if they couldn't see me.

I personally just left food and water out all the time for them, i used those plastic takeaway tubs that you can get and cut gosling head sized holes in the lid to stop them climbing into their food and water and tipping it up.

We don't have a tractor supply here in the uk so yes i found it quite difficult initially to source food for them, but you can order it online - you'll hear a lot about Mazuri feed on these forums but i haven't seen it for sale in the UK, the two brands I use are either marriages or "the small holder collection" for 2 exhibition dewlap toulouse geese a 20kg bag lasts me approximately a month

Both supply non medicated duck and goose starter crumb.

https://www.farmandpetplace.co.uk/s...rriages-duck-and-goose-start-crumbs-20kg.html

https://www.warleys.co.uk/product/allen-page-small-holder-goose-and-duck-breeder-pellets-20kg/

Obviously there are different stockists but juat lonked these so ypu know what youre looking for.

As a side note, its probably best to i troduce lots of different kinds of treats to then while they are young, cucumber, broccoli, carrots, romaine lettuce etc. Because geese can grow up to be quite picky eaters and its more difficult tp convince them to try something new when they grow up!

My boys favourites are cucumber, watermelon and grapes.
Sounds like my son regarding food, he’s a picky eater too 😂 but yes I plan on giving them a good variety while young, thank you this information has been very useful, I may have to bend your ear in the future for more advice lol, I’m also up multiple times in the night so I don’t think them being a bit noisy at night will be a problem for me but they will be in a brooder next to my bed so they can see me 👍🏼

I have raised many birds in my home for the first few weeks to months. It always start out so fun a cuddly but I begin to look forward to getting them out and about. You can always tell its time when I walk in the house and instead of saying "hows the babies" i say "oo you stinky." But It could work well for you and I wish you great success. By the way geese aren't a messy as ducks.

Feeding - babies need food in front of them at all times they grow fast and do a good job of self regulating. Adult Geese are grazers they like a little bite then take a break then go for another bite.
Things to plan for a spot where there water is its a good thing to keep a separate tray under it that you can clean 1 or 2 times a day. While young they eat allot and what goes in must come out. Im not in the UK but I would go for a high protein food geared for Ducks and Geese. Waterfowl have different nutritional needs than ground birds. Talk with your local feed store. Geese also a grit or dirt to much on everyday so they can digest there food. A water needs to be close to there food they also need the water to digest there food. They need to have water deep enough that they can dunk there full nose in to keep there nostrils clean and will play in it.

How long do they sleep at night? well my baby's all sleep through the night but as soon as they see a light there up and ready to go. As soon as you turn the light off they will settle back down. Now as adults there all out in there barns and I do here them at night.

there a few more forums that may help with what others feed here is one on them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-eat-hay.1439001/

I wish you great success with your new companions

I have raised many birds in my home for the first few weeks to months. It always start out so fun a cuddly but I begin to look forward to getting them out and about. You can always tell its time when I walk in the house and instead of saying "hows the babies" i say "oo you stinky." But It could work well for you and I wish you great success. By the way geese aren't a messy as ducks.

Feeding - babies need food in front of them at all times they grow fast and do a good job of self regulating. Adult Geese are grazers they like a little bite then take a break then go for another bite.
Things to plan for a spot where there water is its a good thing to keep a separate tray under it that you can clean 1 or 2 times a day. While young they eat allot and what goes in must come out. Im not in the UK but I would go for a high protein food geared for Ducks and Geese. Waterfowl have different nutritional needs than ground birds. Talk with your local feed store. Geese also a grit or dirt to much on everyday so they can digest there food. A water needs to be close to there food they also need the water to digest there food. They need to have water deep enough that they can dunk there full nose in to keep there nostrils clean and will play in it.

How long do they sleep at night? well my baby's all sleep through the night but as soon as they see a light there up and ready to go. As soon as you turn the light off they will settle back down. Now as adults there all out in there barns and I do here them at night.

there a few more forums that may help with what others feed here is one on them
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/geese-eat-hay.1439001/

I wish you great success with your new companions
Thank you 😊

Sounds like my son regarding food, he’s a picky eater too 😂 but yes I plan on giving them a good variety while young, thank you this information has been very useful, I may have to bend your ear in the future for more advice lol, I’m also up multiple times in the night so I don’t think them being a bit noisy at night will be a problem for me but they will be in a brooder next to my bed so they can see me 👍🏼
I would also consider getting them some brewers yeast to mix in with their food too, just so you know theyre getting all the necessary vitamins while theyre growing

So who will they see as mum? And Luckily I’m in a detached house and they won’t be left outside unsupervised so noise shouldn’t be a problem, plus I can’t imagine them being any louder than my 15 year old son whilst playing on his PlayStation, and I’ve had no complaints about him yet lol
You’ll be the mum, they know they’re geese and like to be around other geese, but they also love their human family, everyone who spends a lot of time with them is their family.

Back
Top Bottom