Hova Bator 1602n or Hova Bator 1588?

MinnesotaNice

Songster
Apr 20, 2015
Minnesota
I've been looking around for a small scale, affordable incubator. I've looked at a lot of different incubators and reviews. The Hova Bators seem to have good reviews and appear to be easy to use. I was also looking at the Hova Bator 1588. The only difference appears to be the built in thermometer. I'm not sure if the control monitor is worth the price difference. I'll get the automatic egg turners for whichever I decide. This will be my first time hatching eggs.

I'm looking for any insight into these incubators or any other recommendations, advice, etc.

Thanks!

I've been looking around for a small scale, affordable incubator. I've looked at a lot of different incubators and reviews. The Hova Bators seem to have good reviews and appear to be easy to use. I was also looking at the Hova Bator 1588. The only difference appears to be the built in thermometer. I'm not sure if the control monitor is worth the price difference. I'll get the automatic egg turners for whichever I decide. This will be my first time hatching eggs.

I'm looking for any insight into these incubators or any other recommendations, advice, etc.

Thanks!
1588...lol It's the one I want. I love the "picture window" . The 1588 is all digital, but the large viewing window is what attracts me. I hate trying to see everything going in in those two half windows that mine has (LG 9200).

Either one though does have good reviews and I know many that have used both models and are happy with them.

1588...lol It's the one I want. I love the "picture window" . The 1588 is all digital, but the large viewing window is what attracts me. I hate trying to see everything going in in those two half windows that mine has (LG 9200).

Either one though does have good reviews and I know many that have used both models and are happy with them.

I'm all about windows! I didn't even think about that. Do you think the all digital is a big deal? I'd hate to spend the money on the 1602n model, dislike it, then buy the 1588 model.

I'm all about windows! I didn't even think about that. Do you think the all digital is a big deal? I'd hate to spend the money on the 1602n model, dislike it, then buy the 1588 model.
I'm not impressed by the digital incubators simply because you can't trust most of them anyway. But with that being said, from most hovabator 1588 users that I've talked to once they check the thermometer and either varify the temp or note how far off it is and adjust for it. It holds the temp you set pretty good. No matter what incubator or thermometer(s) you use, always check them for accuracy before trusting them.

I'm not impressed by the digital incubators simply because you can't trust most of them anyway. But with that being said, from most hovabator 1588 users that I've talked to once they check the thermometer and either varify the temp or note how far off it is and adjust for it. It holds the temp you set pretty good. No matter what incubator or thermometer(s) you use, always check them for accuracy before trusting them.

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated. I'm now leaning more towards the 1588.

Hatching your own eggs is quite a science. I may start with some mallard eggs just to see how it goes.

Thanks for the information! Much appreciated. I'm now leaning more towards the 1588.

Hatching your own eggs is quite a science. I may start with some mallard eggs just to see how it goes.
Good luck! I've only done chickens so far. Would love to do ducks, but don't have a place for ducks. Considering doing quail next spring.

I ended up getting the 1602n. If I start to hatch more I'll probably look at something more like the 1588 that has a fan and built in thermo/hygro. I'm getting some eggs this wknd....we'll see how it goes. Thanks again for the insight!

I'm going to follow this post up with my incubating adventure. The 1602n worked great for me. I did have a fan in it at first, but uninstalled it. It didn't work for me and my set-up. I'll admit, the way the 1602n kept temperature (the wafer) was a bit difficult at times. However, there were a lot of external weather changes in my parts (I'm talking 30 degree from one day to the next). I feel it would be fine in a place not so sensitive to weather changes. It held the humidity fine. It was easy to bring it up and down with the water areas. The 1588 would have been pretty cool for more viewing, but we were able to see fine. I'd highly recommend the automatic egg turner. Soooooo much easier. I'd obviously recommend additional thermometers as well....but I'm sure everyone already knows that's a must. I also rigged some tubing in through the side to add water with a syringe during lockdown if need be.

This was my first time hatching chicken eggs on my own. I've hatched a few duck eggs here and there for my son's school projects. We hatched chicken eggs growing up, but never solo and also with an old small wood bator that looks like it was patented in 1850. With the 1602n, I hatched 21/24 BCM eggs. I hope this thread helps anyone out there looking for a simple/affordable bator that actually works. Here are some pictures for your viewing pleasure:

Back
Top Bottom