how big a box to transport bantam chickens?

crysmom

Songster
12 Years
Sep 24, 2007
I"m going to a chicken show tomorrow expecting to buy a few bantams. How tall does the box need to be? I have a medium sized dog kennel (the verikennel kind) can I put more than one bird in a box? (if they are coming from the same breeder which is my plan) this will be a four hour car ride home. I have some containers of feed and water but if they can't go together then I need some boxes but I need to know how high they have to be

thanks for any help

i have put 3 larger chickens in one of those large green plastic storage containers sold at wmart, with some holes punched in the top. not sure how high it was. i think a dog crate might work good. i would think if they did well together will depend on if they picked on each other before. better to bring a few boxes if that's what you have in case.

You basically want it big enough that they can stand up and move a little, but not so big that they can stretch their wings / slide around etc.

You can put them in the same box if they have been raised together. If you are buying them at auction, then practically only put birds from the same lot together.

Back
Top Bottom